Question about the checkered dresden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the checkered dresden

All the pieces cut, pressed, and I just made one "plate". It came out beautiful except there is some fullness at the center. I have not put the center circle in it yet. I'm wondering if the fullness will go away once I have the center in?

Re: Question about the checkered dresden

Often on Dresdens if you don't have accurate 1/4" seams, sometimes even if you do, there is fullness. To make the Dresden lay flatter take up a few seams to ease that fullness. After it lays flat and just the way you want it, then add your center circle. Sometimes......rarely.....but sometimes if only just a tiny bit full, a good steaming and just pressing flat will make the fabric lay better.

Comment

Dresden's are one block where accurAte cutting and 1/4 inch seams are importAnt due to the math - petals need to equAl 360 degrees to lay flat.
      Wendy
      http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I just made one plate for a table topper. It was full in the center. I took in some of the seams and it's flat now.
        Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Hi Beth and other members,

Thank you asking that question and for all the answers. As I'm sure I will run into the same problem when I start the same quilt in the next day or two. I will be making mine into a large king size.
          Have a blessed day
          Pam[/I]
          [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

I took advice on sewing a little more than 1/4 in seams to take away the fullness. I realized that all my plates were not the same size. I found that if I sew 5 blades at a time together, press really well after adding the 5 blades and press all the seams the same direction that I had an almost perfectly flat plate. And all 9 of them are now the same size. Just press down and do not stretch the plate or glide the iron around. A little starch also helped. Hope this helps, it is a beautiful pattern.

Comment

This is what I have done, too! Works really well!
              Originally posted by LillyRenee View Post
              I took advice on sewing a little more than 1/4 in seams to take away the fullness. I realized that all my plates were not the same size. I found that if I sew 5 blades at a time together, press really well after adding the 5 blades and press all the seams the same direction that I had an almost perfectly flat plate. And all 9 of them are now the same size. Just press down and do not stretch the plate or glide the iron around. A little starch also helped. Hope this helps, it is a beautiful pattern.
              “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
              “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I am thinking about hand quilting my checkered Dresden plate top. I have quilted a few quilts but seem to not be thinking of how this one should be quilted. Has anyone ever hand quilted it and would you post pics so I could see some ideas? Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X