Rag quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag quilt

Question, has anyone done a rug quilt using charms? My question is, did you trim off the pinked edges? Here's a picture of mine, I didn't trim,,,, yetIMG_1236.jpg
    Maureen 

Re: Rag quilt

Yep and don't trim. Remember when you join the blocks you will do about a 3/8 to 1/2 seam and then once joined your going to snip your edges in those seams no need to trim you will loose size if you do and they fray just fine once snipped.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Thank you, I'm looking up u-tube video's, and everyone I find they cut their squares from yardage. Now I can continue. Thanks for answering so fast. Back to work!
      Maureen 

Comment

I've made a few but have used layer cakes. Same thing though with the pinked edging. No, I didn't trim mine either. I highly recommend using spring-loaded rag snips. They are awesome and will save your hands and sanity! http://www.joann.com/fiskars-easy-ac.../14137830.html
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

Thank you Alina, I do have Spring-load rag snips. I'm sewing my blocks today, can't wait to see how it all comes out!
          Maureen 

Comment

Great! They are fun and easy to make. Please post a picture when you are finished.
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

I will Alina, another question, when you sewed the rows together, seams open, or to the sides?
              Maureen 

Comment

I ask Alina in another post, did you sew seams open or the the sides?
                Maureen 

Comment

With regards to the seams, the answer is neither. You will have the seams on the front and they need to basically stick up so you can snip them. You don't want them to lay flat as these are what you snip.
                  Debbie

Comment

Sorry, I was away for a few days. Yes, I agree with Spiff. You don't have to worry about the seams at all! Easy easy.
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

I have made a few rag quilts and it helps if you shorten you stitch length to a 2 maybe. Be sure to leave a 1/2 seam allowance since you are going to snip to the seam line. Those rag snips are well worth the price. They are way easier to use then reg scissors. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X