I should have known better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should have known better

I finished my scrap quilt I was working on all summer. The last thing I needed to do was attach my label, which I had already made. So, feeling productive, and having just put a batch of cookies in the oven, I thought I could sew on the label by hand before my buzzer went off. I started sewing it and oh-oh, pricked my finger with the needle, getting two good size blobs of blood on the quilt which is white on the back and background of the label is also white. Why did I do this without grabbing my thimble first!! Because I was in such a hurry I guess. Well the label got attached (after I used my thimble) and the cookies didn't burn--and I finished before the timer went off! But now I have a brownish stain on the quilt and don't know how to remove it. I dabbled it with some saliva on a Q-tip which helped a little. I thought I had read that tip someplace. Any suggestions? Will try putting up a picture. But my front facing camera on my kindle is not very good unfortunately.

Re: I should have known better

I use peroxide on a qtip. Works really well, especially when its fresh blood.

Comment

Great quilt! Reminds me of something I would find in grandma's attic, lots of memories in there I bet.
      Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Hydrogen peroxide....since it's a white background, it should work fine. I'm surprised your spit didn't work!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Saliva from that person is the best solution........just spit right on it. Hydrogen peroxide is the second best idea......but too much and it damages the threads......I would definitely wash it out right away!

Comment

That's a gorgeous quilt! The peroxide should do the trick in removing the blood.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Peroxide, will take it out. Just a drop or two on each spot then dab, don't rub with soft cloth.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Trust me, nobody is going to notice this but you. If you don't say a word, nobody will know the difference
                Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                  Saliva from that person is the best solution........just spit right on it. Hydrogen peroxide is the second best idea......but too much and it damages the threads......I would definitely wash it out right away!
                  So does spit, actually. It IS a digestive fluid, and cotton is organic matter.

Comment

blood comes out with cold water. Then use the peroxide. The quilt is fabulous and I just wouldn't worry. Now it has DNA and no one else can claim it. You didn't even need a label. lol
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

Well it turned out great! I can't see the blood. Your quilting is amazing!

Will tell you my trick for getting out blood... Cold running water and the corner of a bar of Ivory soap. Rub hard, but you don't have to be brutal with it, and keep the cold water flowing through the spot. All gone, I promise.

Comment

I love your scrappy quilt! I would try the cold water then peroxide method, especially easy on this one because the blood is on white fabric. While that spot is still wet, sit it outside in the sun (white part showing only) and the sun will bleach out any stain that may remain.
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

If the blood doesn't come out, you could always move the label.

Comment

Peroxide will definitely work, but be sure to rinse it out.
                            Ask me how I know.

Your quilt is beautiful!
                            Last edited by dwil23; November 2, 2016, 03:42 PM.
                            Donna

Comment

Working...
                            X