Squaring up a block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squaring up a block

I'm still very much a newbie so forgive the stupid question.

I want to make a double slice quilt from Jenny's tutorial. Would you recommend squaring the block before sewing them together and if so what size would it have to be? Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Squaring up a block

The block should be 9 1/2" after sewing it back together. If you aren't comfortable with you seams allowances, you could always square down to 9 1/4" to be assured they are all the same size.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

Sure, I would go ahead and square the blocks. An extra measure you can take is to measure your blocks as they are right now. Use the smallest block as your guide to square up all of the blocks, which will probably be 9 1/4".

Comment

This a fun and easy pattern. Yes, square up your blocks before you start. Make sure they're all the same size. When you get to the point of joining two sections together, look to see that your small squares are in the upper left and lower right hand corners after you sew two together. This will eliminate having to match any seams. Disregard my arrows. I sewed them all wrong the first time and went back to correct.

Like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

We are so lucky to have forum members willing to post pictures so we can understand what is going on. I am much better at looking at visual pictures than trying to understand drawings and words.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Thank you for asking this! I was just coming here to find out this exact answer! Thank you so much to all of the extremely helpful people on here who, so graciously, answer all of our questions! This is completely new to me and I have learned so much by going through and reading past posts!

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I have a Christmas layer cake (can't remember the name) which I wanted to use. When I FINALLY get to do something with it I'll post pictures but don't hold your breath as it may not be this side of Christmas haha!!

Comment

Working...
              X