Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background color help

Hello everyone,

I am going to make the checkered Dresden plate quilt that Jenny demonstrated a week or so ago. I will be enlarging it to fit on my king bed.

I have always used a white of some sort for my backgrounds. For this quilt I will be using the Color Daze jelly rolls by Moda.

Do you think a different color as apposed to white would work? And if so what color would you suggest for the background that would enable the darker and lighter fabrics in the plates to show up good?

My center circle fabric is from the same line and is Bella solids color dusty jade and the back of the quilt will be Color daze "forget me not blueberries n cream.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it. I am trying to branch out and try different things instead of always following exactly the pattern colors.

Have a blessed day,
    Pam
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Background color help

Well, be careful: I used a pretty pale yellow for background on a jelly roll stars quilt and my DH said "Baby quilt?" I have to agree, it does look like a baby quilt. Waaa!
    Sometimes when I use white or off-white background, I decide not to use the palest pieces out of the pre-cut, due to the lack of contrast.

Comment

The jade you're using for the center is very nice - would it be too overpowering to use that also as background? Looking at the jelly roll I see some polka dot fabrics so if it were me I might try one of those and just remove those particular strips from the jelly roll. Or if you want a darker background, maybe another Moda blue or brown in a deeper tone than the darkest strips in the roll?
      Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

This is something I also struggle with choosing. I went to the shop page and looked at the fabrics. At the bottom of the page are listed coordinating fabric choices. Maybe one of these would work?

I will be watching this thread to see what the others say. Here's the page - scroll all the way down.https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...nts-layer-cake
        Cindy

Comment

I like the Sand yardage in the Bella solid line. It is not too dark, and would pick up some of the warm shades in the jelly roll.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

So, its going on your bed. Do you have a color scheme in the bedroom already.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

My bedroom set is white
              Have a blessed day
              Pam[/I]
              [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice and opinions. I've looked at all the fabrics in the suggestions, and believe I'm going to go with either a light sand, or an ivory.

I love some of the other suggestions, i.e. the polka dot fabric in the same line as my pre-cuts, but I got cold feet and just couldn't bring myself to venture out of my white comfort zone that much as of yet.

I know that the sand and or the ivory isn't much of a leap but It is still for me at least a leap. lol

Have a blessed day,
                Pam
                Have a blessed day
                Pam[/I]
                [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

For a soft vintage feminine look I would go with the Color Daze Prints - Forget-Me-Not Cherry 'n Cream Yardage

or for a more neutral look

Color Daze Prints - Forget-Me-Not Vintage Linen Yardage
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I love the colors like "sand" as mentioned and am especially fond of "greys".... but it does depend on taste and color scheme. I do not know your JR colorway,, but another choice might be a deep or muted "plum"...
                    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Working...
                    X