Binding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding question

I have just finished a small lap quilt (or doll quilt) for my 3 year old granddaughter. I have not yet trimmed the batting or backing. Is there I good reason I could not trim the batting to the top edge, then trim the backing to a couple of inches, turn one edge under, and stitch to the top as binding, rather than cut additional binding and attach it the tradition way?

Re: Binding question

I have done that before. It comes out great, especially for small projects. I'm sure you know how, but here is a little tute for it,

http://knittybittiessews.com/2011/05...-tutorial.html
    Last edited by Hulamoon; October 28, 2016, 10:14 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Perfect tutorial! Thanks!

Comment

That is a perfect way to finish it off. Go for it.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Jane917 View Post
          I have just finished a small lap quilt (or doll quilt) for my 3 year old granddaughter. I have not yet trimmed the batting or backing. Is there I good reason I could not trim the batting to the top edge, then trim the backing to a couple of inches, turn one edge under, and stitch to the top as binding, rather than cut additional binding and attach it the tradition way?
          Hmm, I thought binding was the new way of finishing a quilt. My Grandmother and Aunt taught me to use the backing as the way to finish a quilt. We just called it hemming. I never heard of binding until after I retired and started taking classes at the LQS.
          Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
            Hmm, I thought binding was the new way of finishing a quilt. My Grandmother and Aunt taught me to use the backing as the way to finish a quilt. We just called it hemming. I never heard of binding until after I retired and started taking classes at the LQS.
            You would think it would be used more often since a lot of people say that it is their least favorite part of the process of finishing a quilt.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Very often my binding is a different fabric than my backing. Although binding can be time consuming, I think it is the best finish. However, in this case of my small quilt, it clicked in my head that I planned to use binding from the backing fabric, so why go to the effort to cut and sew extra binding. I will try to get if finished today and will post a picture. I am still trying to decide how much fabric to leave to fold over for the binding.

Comment

Here is another tutorial I found.
                http://cluckclucksew.com/2014/01/bin...uilt-back.html

I have trimmed the batting back to the top and have trimmed the backing to 1". Now on to ironing the fold and stitching.

Comment

Working...
                X