Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I strongly dislike the current quilt I'm working on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I strongly dislike the current quilt I'm working on...

My 10 yr. old son wanted a Missouri Star Block and to make it into a big enough quilt and as I didn't have enough yardage to make all Missouri Star blocks, I decided to work with the jelly rolls I had purchased for his quilt a while ago. I decided to make the Ribbon Star Blocks to surround it the large Missouri Star block(which I will have to put borders on in order for it to all fit still...another headache still up ahead). I'm hoping to use the triangles that are being made by snowballing the Ribbon Star blocks as one of the borders for the Missouri Star. Any ideas in this area are welcome as well.

I chose a dark navy background as the fabrics are rather bright. The corner posts were initially red but I didn't like that. I replaced the corner posts with cream fabric but it's not really working for me either. The pictures don't look as dark as the blocks do in real life. I just find it too busy and don't know how to calm it down. Thanks for any input you may have.

Sorry for posting the pictures twice.

Samuel's Quilt 2016-10-27 001.jpgSamuel's Quilt 2016-10-27 002.jpgSamuel's Quilt 2016-10-27 001.jpgSamuel's Quilt 2016-10-27 002.jpg

Re: Help! I strongly dislike the current quilt I'm working on...

I think it's going to be a really great quilt.I would pick one color from the blocks and sash it with that ,it should break up or space out the stars a little.
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I love all the colors! I think the ribbons would look nice on one side and the star on the other. I think the corner stones would look great in the red or blue. The more color the better!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

How about no cornerstones and just floating the stars?

Comment

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
          How about no cornerstones and just floating the stars?
          I was thinking this too!

And a piano keyboard from all colors for the border.
          Vonnie

Comment

If you think it looks too busy, you could stick with the cornerstones in navy or in the colors from the blocks rather than the white. Also, if you add navy between the big block and ribbon star blocks, it will tone it down a bit. You can always use the leftover triangles on the back or as an edge to a matching pillowcase.

As much as I love piano key borders, if I were trying to tone it down, I'd skip the piano key border so the focus would be more on your stars. One border treatment that would look great on this is to use 2 wider navy strips with a narrow colored strip in between. It could be one color or leftover pieced strips trimmed to fit. I think it tones it down but still adds interest. Something like this pic (not mine - found on google).

Batik Bargello Quilt.jpg

Comment

I second katier825
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I agree with either sashing and cornerstones in navy and let the ribbons float or use a color from the stars. When I did my ribbon star, I sashed with the background color and it all came together nicely. My border was just another row of sashing and cornerstones.

IMG_0901.jpg
                Cindy

Comment

I think your squares are lovely & the quilt will be gorgeous!

I think i'd skip the cornerstones too & let the stars float, like several folks have said.

Comment

I love your quilt blocks on that navy background, makes them pop! I think a sashing around each block of the Navy will spread them apart a bit and highlight each one.
                    Sometimes I will be working on a quilt and not think it's to my liking or how I visualized it in my head but on e the rows were sewn together I really liked it.
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I like the idea of a colorful sashing around the blocks. If you don't want to incorporate the M* block in this quilt, it could be used for another quilt. Maybe just go with all Ribbon Star blocks? Just a thought.

Comment

Oh my goodness, whats not to like. That is absolutely beautiful. If I made anything that striking I would be jumping for joy. Don't worry...it will come together. Just keep putting it together and it is going to be a work of art. I love the dark background (which I haven't attempted yet) and the stars are just popping out of that nighttime sky. Relax. I'm making a 4 patch star right now and I am not at all happy. The colors are wimpy, but I am plodding on because, it will appeal to someone other than me. We all see color differently.
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

The background looks black on my tablet, but since you said it was navy why don't you try corner blocks in a denim blue? I think that would look good. I agree that the white ones look kind of ho hum. A medium polka dot might possibly work too, in diff colors? Pm me if you need some. I was in a polka dot swap last yr but haven't used any of my 10" squares yet, still waiting for the right project to come along. I think your quilt is going to look great when it is all done.

Comment

I love it! But then I love bright colors. How about a black and white print for the cornerstones?

Oops I thought it was black background, didn't realize it was navy. It will be beautiful whatever you do.
                            Last edited by quiltingaway; October 28, 2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I love these colors! I agree with no cornerstones, just sash completely with the navy!

Comment

Working...
                              X