Prewashing fabric for pillowcases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prewashing fabric for pillowcases?

I've finally got some free time to make pillowcases and I'd love to just get sewing BUT....

Several of the tutorials I've seen say the fabric should be washed first. Well, thing is I'm not sure if I should cut the yardage I'd planned to use them wash & trim the raggedy edges then iron or wash the whole length of fabric and just return what I didn't use back into the stash - will that be a problem mixing in with other unwashed fabrics if I want to mix them up in a quilt later?

I'd planned on using some orphaned JR strips as the accent - but washing those would be a nightmare :-/

What's the worst that could happen is I don't wash any of the fabrics until the pillowcase is done?

Re: Prewashing fabric for pillowcases?

I don't pre-wash any fabric I use for pillowcases. I just wash after they are made. Throw in a color catcher. No problems.

Comment

Wonderful - thank you!!!

I'm so happy to finally make time for this

I'm also making a replacement pillowcase for my husband's body pillow. I jokingly call it his "girlfriend" and I bought a new cover for it a while back because the old one had a tear in it & told him it was a new "dress" LOL Well, I didn't notice what the new "dress" was made if & it's not 100% cotton, so it was wasn't really soft. He's still using the one with a tear in it. So this will be an Xmas gift for him & "that floozie" LOL

Comment

I wash my pillowcases after they are made.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I never prewash fabric for pillowcases.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks all!! So glad to hear the confirmation.

Comment

Xmas gift for him & "that floozie" LOL[/QUOTE]

I love the humor!

Comment

I wouldn't wash either, unless it were flannel. As to your question about cutting the yardage and then washing, you'd wash the yardage first, then iron & cut it. If you wanted to wash it at all, that is.

Comment

I wash them after they are sewn because the ones I make are for kids in hospitals, the wash gets rid of chemicals used in the making of fabrics.

Comment

I wash the fabric. I have pillows that are just a tad too plump for standard cases, and getting the pillow in the case is a pain.
                    If I wash, then the case shouldn't shrink any more. Used to be 44" wide fabric was great, but width is now less. You have to buy more to make pillowcases for these buggers.

Comment

I prewash yardage.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Well, I decided to do both, lol. May be a good thing too. The Floozie Dress fabric I decided to was to make sure it didn't bleed horribly and to make sure it softened up suitably. Well. It bled like crazy - dark blue fabric - and two washes & 6 color catchers later...Whew! I also did another wash with vinegar to try to set the dye some more. Still not sure if that was the best fabric choice.

I was mostly successful with the pillowcases I just started without washing - I think the first two turned out cute! My phone is being recalicitrant & won't let me post pics though.

The next two - Star Wars BB8 ones - halted when I unrolled the 2nd burrito @ the body fabric was wrong side out. Blargh! Took forever to rip that seam out, and o had to put it away before kiddo got home. Will post pics later today when they're all done.

Comment

For next time or someone else that comes along.

I frequently wash yardage and anything as small as a fat quarter. I do not press or starch anything until I am about to cut it. I do take things from the dryer and fold neatly so pressing is not really needed at that point.
                          I have then sewn that yardage to unwashed jelly rolls or other pre-cuts without any problems at all. I do use color catchers the first [sometimes more] time washing quilts.

Comment

I think I'll go back to good sheeting for the main body of the case if I can find any. I'll embroider or quilt the hem only, and do it on the sheeting as a base.
                            Sheeting usually comes wider than quilting cotton.

Comment

I have made lots of pillowcases and I never wash first. Of course I don't wash first on my fabric for quilts either.

Now my advise is.... Do whatever it is that works for you.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X