Large Dresden Plate Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Dresden Plate Template

I want to make Jenny's Checkered Dresden quilt. MSQ is all out of the templates.
    I have never made a Dresden quilt before and I do have a Dresden template just an off brand.
    From the photo of MSQ template it looks like it is 9.5 inches tall mine is 8 inches. The width of the template seems to be the same as the one I have. I am just wondering before I cut up this beautiful jelly roll and make a mess do you think it matters?

Re: Large Dresden Plate Template

Any Dresden templete will work. It will only make a 5'' long Dresden, maybe a 5 1/2'' long if you want to be frugal. Did she use a jelly roll?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you, Hulamoon for replying so quickly . Yes she used a jelly roll and it is one of her recent tutorials on 10/14/16. Love this quilt.

Comment

Oh dear I was totally wrong. I was thinking one strip, but she sewed them together. Sorry about that. Back to your question...The templates are all the same, just some longer. I have three, I'm one of those that don't pay attention to what they already have lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

You might need to sew together 3 strips rather than four if your template is that much shorter, which means your overall block will be smaller and may require smaller background squares. I suggest you make a sample block out of scrap fabric and see how it turns out.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Would it be possible to extend the size of the template by using another ruler next to it and cutting that way? Hope this is clear.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

I have this dresden ruler that lets me make up to a 48 inch dresden. I made this snowflake topper with it. It is 36 inches
              asset (1).jpg
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Fran View Post
                Would it be possible to extend the size of the template by using another ruler next to it and cutting that way? Hope this is clear.
                That will work
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I miss brown paper grocery bags! You could take one and lay your template out on it then draw around it extending your lines as far as you wanted. But it won't work with plastic bags
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                    You might need to sew together 3 strips rather than four if your template is that much shorter, which means your overall block will be smaller and may require smaller background squares. I suggest you make a sample block out of scrap fabric and see how it turns out.
                    She actually uses the small end of the template at the bottom/top of the strip set, and doesn't use the entire length of the template. Yours should work out fine, as long as you follow her instructions making the strip set, and placing your template to cut.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                      I miss brown paper grocery bags! You could take one and lay your template out on it then draw around it extending your lines as far as you wanted. But it won't work with plastic bags
                      I use cereal boxes for this we go thru a lot of cereal.
                      Here is another tute for similar dresden http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2013/...k-and.html?m=1

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I just made do with the template I had. I think it would have been easier if the template had been longer. quilt 5.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X