Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions needed any 20-something's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulamoon
    replied
    Re: Opinions needed any 20-something's out there?

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
    I like this one. Thanks, Lorie.
    Originally posted by AMG View Post
    I saw the same pattern yesterday too! I really like this - I'd love to see it in Grunge or Hairspray fabric lines.
    I like it too. I can see it in blues and greens. I would definitely send it off to be quilted though!

Leave a comment:

• AMG
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I saw the same pattern yesterday too! I really like this - I'd love to see it in Grunge or Hairspray fabric lines.

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I like this one. Thanks, Lorie.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

This is nice too

https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...37&cat_id=1430

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I came across this one yesterday

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...anterns/247959

Leave a comment:

• Grey Lady
    replied

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
    I typed in bohemian quilt on pinterest.. Amy Butler has fabrics that definitely have this feel...
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=bohemian%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=quilt%7Ctyped
    I had no idea that I'd love the look of "bohemian quilts"! Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• songbird857
    replied

I typed in bohemian quilt on pinterest.. Amy Butler has fabrics that definitely have this feel...
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=bohemian%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=quilt%7Ctyped

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

The couple I will be making the quilt for he is my nephew, he is a high school teacher, U.S. History, civil war his special area. They are very liberal, campaigned door to door for Bernie. She is a professional photographer, does mostly weddings. Her style is kind of Bohemian, she doesn't wear much makeup but wears her hair long and loose, big dangly earrings, colorful floaty shirts and leggings with everything. Civil war prints might be too old fashioned for them but maybe in a scrap quilt combined with some more modern ones?

Leave a comment:

• songbird857
    replied

A good idea is to look at their registry for color/style preferences. Also, talk to the bride (or a peer of hers that knows her very well) if possible - ask her - modern, traditional, colors, neutrals, etc!
    I really enjoy trying to find out what will make the recipient smile - kind of like a secret spy
    For this quilt (gifted a couple of weeks ago), I asked my daughter, who is a friend of the bride, and shares very similar tastes (20 somethings)...
    20161008_141041_resized.jpg
    Tastes vary so much - you'd be surprised at the number of youngins that like traditional!
    I also agree with what many have said here - color/fabric really determine the 'feel' - If you do a traditional block in solids or neutrals, it gives it a more modern feel. Also, I'm not exactly a 'youngin' anymore, but I tend to steer towards the modern, clean lines too... I don't like scrappy or floral-y...
    Last edited by songbird857; October 25, 2016, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I'm definitely not a 20-something but my Grands are. I'm also fairly sure the fabric (colors/prints) have so much to do with their comments. Look at the two Gift Quilts I just made. One was traditional Christmas colors and prints (red/green/gold) and the other was black prints. One looks "old" and the black one looks modern and sleek.

Jenny has done some modern quilt tutorials: Rising Star, Falling Charms (done in solids), Plus Sign, etc. There are some fun ones to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• katier825
    replied

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Thanks everyone you have given me a lot to think about. I guess it is kind of true that you could make a traditional block with modern fabrics, I never thought of that. Also I never considered that maybe it is the fabric choice that makes a quilt seem old or dated more than the actual pattern itself. It would feel weird making a Log Cabin with something from Cotton & Steel or Kaffe Fasset --I have a feeling I would love it or hate it. But thanks for all of the ideas!! I see some sample blocks in my future.
    go to Google and search the images for Kaffe log cabin or batik quilts. There are tons for you to look at and that should give you an idea of how the finished quilt would look.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

Thanks everyone you have given me a lot to think about. I guess it is kind of true that you could make a traditional block with modern fabrics, I never thought of that. Also I never considered that maybe it is the fabric choice that makes a quilt seem old or dated more than the actual pattern itself. It would feel weird making a Log Cabin with something from Cotton & Steel or Kaffe Fasset --I have a feeling I would love it or hate it. But thanks for all of the ideas!! I see some sample blocks in my future.

Leave a comment:

• dwil23
    replied

I would think you would be fairly safe with a traditional pattern in batiks, in their color scheme. Kind of "neutral".

Leave a comment:

• katier825
    replied

I think a lot of the younger generation likes more modern quilts. I have found that traditional patterns done with batiks give a more modern look. Log Cabin, Irish Chain, etc. look great in batiks. A plus is that there are so many patterns available, you can find something that isn't flowery, if you want to avoid those, but still have interesting designs.

Leave a comment:

• midnightline
    replied

When I made a wedding quilt for my cousin, I had one of her friends snoop and take pictures of her apartment so that I knew what colors she liked, and whether she had any themes going on, decoration-wise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X