Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions needed any 20-something's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed any 20-something's out there?

I have a strange question. I will be making a quilt for a wedding gift and yesterday was at a wedding. At dinner we got into a debate over quilt designs. The 20-30 year olds said they thought traditional quilt designs like Ohio Star, 9-patch, Dresden plate, log cabin, etc just scream "old" to them and they would not want one. That they would rather just have a plain old patchwork quilt with lots of colors or something bold in black and white. This really surprised me, and since I don't have a pattern in mind for the future wedding quilt, I am wondering if anyone out there had an opinion on this?? Only about 8 ppl were in on this conversation so I don't know if I am over thinking their taste for the traditional.

Re: Opinions needed any 20-something's out there?

Well, I am 35, but looking back, I cannot imagine having those thoughts about traditional quilt designs. I have always loved quilts and think they are beautiful - some traditional and some unique. But I am impressed they'd know what the different designs were! If you are going to gift one, you could find out what their wedding colors are or what their decor is/is going to be and go from there.

Comment

I'm a 20-something....well, truth be told, I'm also a 30-something and 40-something....OK...AND 50-something...hahaha! I agree that I think the "kids" today want quilts that may be "modern" to them, in that they want their colors. It's funny that they don't want log cabin but they do want patchwork, which to me is even older than Ohio Star...? I think any quilt in any color is going to be loved by the recipient(s). I was just thinking about a hexi quilt I just saw Jenny make. It's like a split hexi (small green hexi on large white hexi, then the next block down was small white on large green hexi)....it was soooo pretty, and will work for the quilt I need to make.
      Barbara
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Well I'M not 20something but I have kids that are! they are all quilters, too. They go toward the traditional designs as well as ones they design themselves. To me, the colors used "date" a quilt more than the design. but that's me-a 60something.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I agree it's not really the pattern, but the fabrics used. You can make a cool Dresden or others in black and white. 30's fabrics are pretty, but too much grandma looking sometimes.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have found that the "youngers" do find certain fabrics..."old" and truth be told,, a lot of the stash fabrics i have might be considered just that!... The one thing i find that they do love is mixing it all up and some just find a simple charm square of crazy mixes to their liking... if you can get their color pallette and stick to that your golden... other than that stay neutral and go in the direction of their color way for the pattern fabrics to mix... My DD and SIL really loved a quilt i made them from ALL the fabrics from my leftovers drawer.. (go figure),,, I used the dryer sheet method... (not going to recommend using them, but something as a base size is the best.. just keep throwing down whatever you find next...LOL
            All in all i guess it's called Modern with a "twist"..)
            Here are a few of the crazy things i've come up with! GB
            Attached Files
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I know when I talked about making my then 28 year old DS and his wife a quilt, they didn't want anything old looking.....no old quilt patterns, no old lady fabrics, definitely opinionated about their colors. I did surprise them with my winning MO* Lovely quilt, but it was in their wedding colors. Maybe too flowery for my son, but I used a very modern pattern and lots of black background.....not the best idea with 2 cats in their home! They have used it as their bedspread since then, so I guess it was ok. Then the baby was coming. My sweet DIL is not a sewer or quilter so we struggle to communicate about quilts. My son thinks quilting is for grandmas. SO....I introduced them to MO*, and all the young quilters I could find. Then I did what worked out as a genius plan. We made a combined page on Pinterest and they pinned what they liked. I was able to go on and get a better feel for their taste, color combos, patterns and shapes that spoke to them. Then I was able to produce 6 baby quilts that illicited all yays! We don't speak the same language in tastes and styles, but this made it very easy for them to show me what they liked and I was still able to make choices of what to create for them. Win....win.

I think it really depends on the recipient. I just made a gorgeous baby quilt that I adored and had fun making. Dad wants only modern, Mom wants only old fashioned. It had to be girly and not too pink as the baby is a red head. I scoured Facebook and Etsy to see what was popular for their age group as far as color and design.....then I put it all together. They loved it! Gifting is hard and what you love, might be hideous to someone else.......so it is tricky at best. Good luck!

Comment

I have not yet made a quilt for wedding gift, but if I have given a lot of baby and as in my country there is little tradition of patchwork all liked a lot, I love the rustic and scrappys although I have also done classical and they are nice. GrammaBabs quilts are beautiful I like them all

Comment

Well, I am WAY over the age limit, but have kids in that bracket, and my daughter is just stating to quilt. I have made quilts, with her input for friends her age and the do like more modern patterns and colors. The one thing she does like that is more traditional is a scrappy quilt with lots of color. Hope that helps!

Comment

I have made six wedding quilts in the past few years and did worry about them looking old fashioned. I put a lot of thought into the pattern and especially the fabric. I took into consideration the bride's tastes and/or the wedding colors. I used precuts for most of the quilts because the precuts put together modern combinations that I wouldn't think of. The quilts were all lap sized except for one. I think they all loved their quilts.

Comment

My daughter hates batiks which I love dearly. I love cheery happy colors and designs. She is into tiny old timey prints and more traditional style quilts. I think its more of a personal choice. Do you know the family of the bride and groom well enough to ask them about what styles and colors they like?

Comment

I concur with it probably being more about the fabric vs. the design -- using b/w, brights, Kaffe, etc. would probably appeal to them even if it was in a traditional log cabin pattern! Also, I would stay away from patterns with stars and perhaps even dresdens -- unless you did 1/4 dresden plate in one or all corners of the quilt.

Nonetheless, if scrappy is what he/she/they want -- make it easy on yourself and sew a bunch of squares together! If you want to add a bit of complication -- make it HST's! LOL

I would hate to see someone pour their heart, soul, and labor into a quilt only for it to not be as appreciated as it should be -- at least in the present ... with age comes wisdom and the receiver, I'm sure, will grow to appreciate it more.
                        Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                        http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

What a sad state of affairs when a handmade gift has to be tailor made to the recipients or they don't appreciate the love that is put forth. I know we want to give a gift that folks like but sometimes, it takes years for them to really know what they want. I remember when my daughter was graduating from college. I asked what she would like for a gift. SHe said her classmates were getting trips to Europe. I said, forget that...something we can afford...she said,...a microwave. I thought about it and it just didn't seem appropriate for a grand gift to celebrate a life event. So, I began a quilt...one of my first large quilts and the first time that I actually went and bought fabric on purpose for a quilt....usually I just made quilts from fabric left over from other garmet sewing. So I chose bright bold colors that I knew she liked and I made a quilt and tried hard to do a great job. I presented it to her and she was very polite but not elated. That was 25 years ago. That quilt was on her bed when I visited last week. It is beginning to show some fading, but it is there. The microwave would have been trashed years ago. My daughter has become a avid quilter and sewer , but it took a while for her to "warm" up to the "material" gift.
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                            What a sad state of affairs when a handmade gift has to be tailor made to the recipients or they don't appreciate the love that is put forth. I know we want to give a gift that folks like but sometimes, it takes years for them to really know what they want. I remember when my daughter was graduating from college. I asked what she would like for a gift. SHe said her classmates were getting trips to Europe. I said, forget that...something we can afford...she said,...a microwave. I thought about it and it just didn't seem appropriate for a grand gift to celebrate a life event. So, I began a quilt...one of my first large quilts and the first time that I actually went and bought fabric on purpose for a quilt....usually I just made quilts from fabric left over from other garmet sewing. So I chose bright bold colors that I knew she liked and I made a quilt and tried hard to do a great job. I presented it to her and she was very polite but not elated. That was 25 years ago. That quilt was on her bed when I visited last week. It is beginning to show some fading, but it is there. The microwave would have been trashed years ago. My daughter has become a avid quilter and sewer , but it took a while for her to "warm" up to the "material" gift.

I can think of an exception to that. My friend's daughter started her wedding registry and did announce which colors she and her fiance liked. NO ONE BOTHERED TO READ IT. Those that did give gifts via the registry picked what THEY liked, not the bride.

I quilted one of those runners you put on the foot of the bed, and designed it with the colors she wanted. Also a runner for pillows.

I found out about people ignoring the bridal registry from the bride's mother.

If the bride does have a registry, and has specified colors, a gift should follow her wishes.

Comment

My son is 18. When he went off to college I made him a quilt that he had a hand in designing. (We stared with a pattern and reworked it). He wanted a more modern looking quilt. Squares and bright colors on a background of black.

Comment

Working...
                              X