Decorative Stitches through Quilt Layers - can it be done? Brother SQ9185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decorative Stitches through Quilt Layers - can it be done? Brother SQ9185

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, and I am about to start my very first quilting project, a baby quilt.

I have a 12 year old sewing machine but just picked up a new Brother SQ9185, a quilting/sewing combo, mainly for the quilting feet and decorative stitches. I am a little confused, and the manual doesn't specify...

Decorative stitches are supposed to be used with a monogram foot and not the quilting feet, so I wondered if the decorative stitches are for top layers only or if there is some way to use them through three layers - the quilt top, batting, and bottom quilt layers.

I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere. Thank you!

Re: Decorative Stitches through Quilt Layers - can it be done? Brother SQ9185

Make a test sandwich and try it out. That is the best I can tell you as I don't have your machine. The one thing I can say, those decorative stitches take a long time to stitch out. I was sorry I started them on a quilt because I thought I'd never finish.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks! I am glad to read that you tried it, even though it took a long time. What kind of machine did you use, and what type of foot did you use to sew decorative stitches through the layers?

Comment

I did it on a Pfaff which has IDT, which is basically a built in walking foot, so my experience wouldn't translate well to a machine that doesn't have it built in. I just used a regular zig zag or satin stitch foot.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

The monogram foot has a wider opening to allow for the width of stitches. I played with my machine and used the serpentine stitch and it was fine through all the layers. I don't know about all the little stars and delicate designs though. It might jam up. Like Karen said do a little test.

I did a test with metallic thread and just used the top and batting. Maybe try two layers too.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you ladies! I wondered if adjusting the stitch width & length might help with the walking foot. Granted, all I have done is read the manual numerous times in deciding to buy this machine yesterday. I need to take it out of the box next.

Comment

I do sashing on my Pfaff 2170. I QAYG, and the sashing really needs to be stitched down.

Pfaff has a build in walking foot called IDT.

If I remember right, my daughter did do some with an older Ellure and a walking foot.

Width would help. So would a slower change in the direction of the fancy stitch.
              If you can, I would use on stitches that gave the most latitude in change.

Instead of a tight fast curve, would try for more of a serpentine effect. Slow and flowing.
              Last edited by Alpha O; October 23, 2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I have used my ancient Singer 2010 decorative stitches that way, with just the regular foot. Enlarge the stitches if you can, and go slow. Helps to keep a piece of stiff cardboard or something right in front of the "toes" of the foot to help compress the batting.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                  I have used my ancient Singer 2010 decorative stitches that way, with just the regular foot. Enlarge the stitches if you can, and go slow. Helps to keep a piece of stiff cardboard or something right in front of the "toes" of the foot to help compress the batting.
                  That's a great tip.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

First, Welcome to the forum!

My cousin just told me today that she had spent a bit of time ripping decorative stitches from her quilt that just didn't come out right. She has a Brother, not exactly the same as you have, but very similar. What she does use with great success is the serpentine stitch instead of SITD. I also suggest making some test pieces to try it out. It could make a difference what fabrics and battings are being used also.
                    Donna

Comment

The main reason I didn't use any of those decorative stitches is because it takes forever, plus it uses up so much thread! Stitch in the Ditch, or a zig zag go much faster. Definitely slow down the speed. I think it works best with a walking foot.

Comment

Some decorative stitches use backwards motion to stitch out. Definitely do not use your walking foot for them, I broke my walking foot by forgetting that I wasn't supposed to back stitch with the walking foot on!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I have a Brother XR1355 and have applied decorative stitching to my first couple of wall quilts. I used the "J" foot and moved slowly. Yes, decorative stitches take forever, but they sure add a touch of elegance. Another method I have used is to add the decorative stitches prior to layering, then FMQ with the darning foot around the shape of each section. This gives a crazy-quilt effect. (I will try to figure out how to upload photos of the projects.) In the meantime, I suggest making some potholders to try out various techniques.
                          Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

You can use decrative stitches for quilting, but keep in mind that the walking foot will elongate those stitches. So use stitch patterns that do not have to be close together, like everyone already mentioned, the serpintine, which stitches in a controlled 'crooked' pattern.
                            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I used a serpentine stich to quilt my last quilt, I have a Janome and used my walking foot. It came out very nice but it took its time....and two audiobooks...
                              Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Working...
                              X