How would you quilt this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you quilt this?

After many, many, many weeks (more weeks than I thought it would take!) I'm finally at the stage where I'm seriously thinking about how I'm going to quilt this.

I was thinking of outlining the applique, stitching in the ditch around all the blocks, & then orange peel inside each block. I saw a way to do this with a walking foot.

What sort of quilting for inside the applique?

I will be using 50/50 bamboo/cotton batting. If I remember correctly the max quilting distance for that is 6".

What do you think?

Kenshin quilt.jpg Kenshin applique.jpg

Re: How would you quilt this?

I don't have any quilting tips, but I just had to comment on your quilt, with one word....

WOW!

Comment

Very cool! I'm assuming it's a Japanese character? Maybe a sashiko design?
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

wow! I have no idea how to advise but I love it!
        Is that Kenshin?
        My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

Stitch around the figure and then determine where the shawl should be and stipple that, do some double stitching through where the hair surrounds the face and then do some gentle curves to follow the body line through the skirt.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

You are so creative,you don't need my advice
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

I like Sandy's thoughts to give dimension and texture to your appliqué.

Comment

In looking closely at the applique figure, it looks like there are lines in the skirt & various places. Maybe you could follow those lines to bring dimension to the applique. Also outline the whole applique. Some curved lines could be done for the hair & whatever that is fanning out from the back of her head. The remainder of the quilt could be done many dif. ways. Maybe a stipple? so you can work your way around the applique. I think I'd use a neutral color thread that matches the tan fabric since that seems to be the predominant color. What color is the backing? It's a unique quilt & a job well done.

Comment

Definitely stitch around the applique. Sandy gave some gre as the ideas. I think in the applique be sure to use a thread that blends and let your texture tell the story of the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Juliet Taylor View Post
                    wow! I have no idea how to advise but I love it!
                    Is that Kenshin?
                    Yes it is!! I'm so thrilled that someone recognised him!! You've made my day

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                      Stitch around the figure and then determine where the shawl should be and stipple that, do some double stitching through where the hair surrounds the face and then do some gentle curves to follow the body line through the skirt.
                      Thanks for the great ideas. I had to do the detail inside the applique figure to make him recognisable and by doing so I realise I've made life a lot harder for myself. I like your idea of stippling in the upper shawl-like area. How do I do that without losing the definition of the lines I've already done? Maybe a 100wt Wonderfil?

I'll need to give this a lot more thought. There's a big quilt show coming up in a couple of weeks. I might get some ideas there.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                        In looking closely at the applique figure, it looks like there are lines in the skirt & various places. Maybe you could follow those lines to bring dimension to the applique. Also outline the whole applique. Some curved lines could be done for the hair & whatever that is fanning out from the back of her head. The remainder of the quilt could be done many dif. ways. Maybe a stipple? so you can work your way around the applique. I think I'd use a neutral color thread that matches the tan fabric since that seems to be the predominant color. What color is the backing? It's a unique quilt & a job well done.
                        Thank you I did the detail lines myself. I felt otherwise the character wouldn't be as recognisable. I like Sandy's idea of stippling the upper part & then following the fold lines in the lower part.

The back is going to be pieced from stash fabric. I'm playing with layout at the moment but I like the idea of a neutral-toned back with red square off-centre to give it a pop of colour.

Comment

Working...
                        X