Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking at Long Arm Machines

Originally posted by JCY View Post
    Canned air should not be used for computers, laptops, or printers either. Use the small vacuum attachments or even the brush tool from your reg. vacuum.
    The only place I used canned air is in the bobbin area of my Babylock Crown Jewell II. I was always told not to used canned air but learned it was okay for this one area. I took a workshop at Babylock headquarters and was shown by Kay Capps Cross how to used the canned air to clean the bobbin area out. Also to use it on the bobbin case itself. She said to never put anything in the bobbin case. She said even using an index card to slide in to remove lint could damage the bobbin case. She said the canned air would remove the lint. Kay has worked closely with the engineers who designed the Babylock Crown Jewels.
    Vonnie

Comment

I also think you should add Innova to your list of possibilities.

I've been shopping for a new longarm for almost a year. I've talked to professional quilters, quilting instructors, quilt shop owners, and manufacturers. I heard stuff about Gammill that made me shy away. There seemed to be some issues with them supporting dealers who did warranty work a couple of years ago, and I haven't been able to determine if they've got that worked out yet.

I will tell you that I don't think test driving machines at shows is enough. I took longarm classes. That gives you a chance to really put the machine through its paces. You get to see what it's like to load the quilt, adjust the tension, replace a bobbin, etc. You get several hours to play with it, as opposed to 10-15 minutes at a show. Many times the class has several different machines set up, with different features, accessories, and sizes. The classes can be expensive, but in my opinion if you're spending that much money, it's totally worth it.

Comment

I think you should look at the Innova. I don't own it but it is on my lottery buy list. I'm lucky I have a studio with Innovas near me that I can go rent time on. The frame is awesome and the machines run smooth as silk.
        Good Luck in your search.
        Susan
        Susan Davis
        Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Comment

One thing to consider is the price. I went to Road to California with the Stitchin Heaven tour in 2014 with the intent of looking for a Handi Quilter Sweet 16 sit down long arm. Saw it and tried it at Cozy Quilt shop and again at Road show in their booth. Richard said that the new machines they bring in for classes will be marked down from $5,100 to $4,200, tried it out. He said he had about 4 left, so I purchased one. The shipping to Hawaii cost me $600 ugh but still it came up to less than full price. You do have a learning curve as with any machine. But I love it, includes table, bobbin winder, Superior thread assortment, bobbins, needles, manual. It has a 16" throat, takes up 30" x 36" space, if I need more space for the quilt to lay on I pull up my ironing board next to the table. The table weighed about 77lbs and machine 44lbs. There is absolutely no vibration from the machine as that table is super sturdy, heavy built.

I don't want a machine that I have to stand up and drive over the fabric. I love being able to just sit and push that quilt around under the needle and do whatever design comes to mind. You won't be disappointed with this machine.

Comment

Working...
          X