Rag Quilt, cut edges, not fraying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag Quilt, cut edges, not fraying

I just finished my first rag quilt made from 100% cotton and cotton polyester blend fabrics. Spent all afternoon cutting the seams, popped it in the washer then the dryer and it looks exactly the way it did when i put it in the washer. (minus the loose threads that were all over it from doing all the cutting.) Any idea what is wrong? Could it be I have a front loading washing machine that does not agitate the clothes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Rag Quilt, cut edges, not fraying

One would think the dryer would help the edges fray, even if the washer doesn't. How frustrating! You may have to wash/dry it a couple times more before it looks right.

Comment

Polyester does not fray well.

Comment

I'm not sure the cotton/poly blend fabrics will fray the way you want them to - flannel frays the most - 100% cotton frays but not as much as flannel. Can you tell the fraying difference between the poly blend fabric and the 100% cotton fabric?

Jeannette

Comment

Poly blend will not fray like 100% cotton or 100% cotton flannel. It will fray eventually, but it will take several washings to notice a difference. Especially if the blend was more poly than cotton.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry your quilt didn't rag. I believe that the polyester blend fabrics are the culprit since they usually don't shrink or fray.

Normally, rag quilts are made from flannel, 100% cotton jeans fabric, homespun cotton fabrics (which are usually plaids) or similar cottons with a looser weave. Those fabrics will fray at the edges, which is what you want. I've made quite a few with flannels and one with jeans on top and homespun on the back. There are pictures in my album.

Can you post a picture? Forum friends may have some suggestions.

Comment

Was it cut on grain and not skewed, even a little bit? You can actually use a weed-eater (clean plastic tie, of course) to fray it...my guess is that may be the only way to get this one to fray. I, too, believe it is the cotton/poly blend that is the culprit.
              Last edited by CraftySweetPeas; October 17, 2016, 07:20 PM.
              Barbara
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Would a wire brush, the kind that is used to clean a grill, work on fraying the fabric?
                Vonnie

Comment

The above posts are right re: cotton and poly not fluffing up like flannel. However, as the quilt goes through more washes, there should be a little more fluff to the frayed edges (depending on how much poly is in the quilt).

My daughter did a rag quilt with 100% cotton (not flannel) and although it didn't fluff like flannel, it still looks very nice!
                  Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I have a raggie laptop made years ago. One layer of good cotton, one good flannel and one good muslin. The ends never ragged out that well, but the seams did.

First wash of quilt in a Frigidaire washer. That agitator went up and down rather than swish. Could be hard on clothes, but I liked it and can't find another. Think the dryer had only low, medium and high cycles, plus a fluff. I tend to keep things unless I can't find parts.

Later washed in newer machine, and dryer with more cycles. Still edges haven't fluffed like the seams.

Maybe it's the process used in printing and dying some fabrics that makes the difference?

Comment

Thanks so much for all of the input. I think you are right about the polyester blends. I will wash it several more times and see what happens. This was a "practice" quilt using material I had on hand. I want to make a nice one for my new grandchild coming in March and will use soft flannels, hopefully with better results.

Comment

How would use a weed eater? Do you mean laying it on the floor and actually using the weed eater like you would on grass? I'd be afraid I'd catch the quilt itself and tear it all up. Or doesn't it do that? Very curious to know.

Comment

quilt2.jpg
                          Here is the quilt after multiple scrubbings with a stiff vegetable brush and hours in the dryer along with 2 pair of "boat shoes" This was a practice quilt and a long way from perfect. 2 main lessons learned - the accuracy of your cutting is as important as the sewing and the importance of using the right fabric.
                          Last edited by cgshelly; October 21, 2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Wow, it looks great now! You probably built up muscles scrubbing it! LOL Glad the scrubber and the boat shoes worked.

Comment

I think it looks great!

but um, boat shoes? How did you use those?
                              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                              X