X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcbatiks
    replied
    Re: Thimble Question/Opinion

Update........I bought the Soft Comfort thimble and the Poke A Dots thimble pads from M*.

I tried them a few times now and I do like them. The Soft Comfort Thimble works well for me because the needle doesn't slip. It is a little thicker than the rubbery one with the metal top but it works better for me. It's not a hot as the rubbery ones. I also like the Poke A Dots too. I tried using one of those on my finger underneath the quilt so the needle doesn't jab into my finger.

I'm doing a little better on my stitching now.

A suggestion on the Thimble It pads.....I find them too slick so I wrapped a piece of painters tape around my finger & over the Thimble pad and that helped keep the needle from slipping.

Leave a comment:

• mommadeb
    replied

I use just a plain metal one. I would like to try one of the silicone/jelly ones with the metal tip but I'm afraid if the needle slips, it will go through the jelly stuff. Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Annette Ackley
    replied

I also use a metal thimble with the ridge around it. I have used this type for many years. I do a lot of hand quilting.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied

That thimble looks pretty clunky. I like a metal one with a ridge around the top edge to keep the needle from slipping. It's pretty basic but it works.

Leave a comment:

• Juliet Taylor
    replied

I have that same exact thimble but made by Prym (which you find almost everywhere) and I love it and use it always but I have to admit that for hand-quilting (small stitches) I still need to use the old metal thimble because that is what I feel most comfortable with :-)

Leave a comment:

• tsladaritz
    replied

After reading these I am reminded my mother in law hand quilts all hers. She just wraps a piece of heavy medical tape on her finger each time she quilts. It is the white kind I think and she can reuse the same piece a few times before it loses it sticky. I may try her method because I already have some.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

Pam, I like a thimble that's hard and my fingernail is exposed on top. I think I have every thimble every created, but the past few years I like the cheap plastic ones sold at JoAnn. They cost less than $1 so I buy a few at a time. My fingers are small so I boil a cup of water and drop the thimble in the water for a few minutes and then take it out and put it on my finger and squeeze it to make it fit me tighter. Some of the thimbles made for children fit me.

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

I have been using the Jelly Thimbles as they flex around my finger better. This last time, the ridge on the outter edge really bugged me. I have been thinking about trying something new. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

Leave a comment:

• SherylM
    replied

I use the Clover Natural Fit leather thimble on the middle finger of my right hand and rubber Quilter's Tips or silicone needle pullers on my thumb and index finger. I don't use anything on my left hand.

http://tinyurl.com/jrn5av8

http://tinyurl.com/hwztatk

http://tinyurl.com/zvae5kp

The combination is perfect for me and very comfortable. My grandmother always used metal thimbles when she did hand work, but I could never find one that was comfortable for me.
    Last edited by SherylM; October 18, 2016, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

I am a hand quilter and I use a stainless steel cone thimble from the thimblelady in Australia. Once you use one of these you will never use anything else!!

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I have a silver one that belonged to my mother, so it's very sentimental for me. I think of her every time I use it. I've never used any of those products mentioned. I don't hand quilt. I've pretty much quit hand sewing the bindings. I use it mostly for sewing on the quilt label or for sewing on an occasional button.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Thanks everyone for the opinions and input. I have some of the Thimble It dots but they seem a little slick but I need to try them again. I like the idea of the stick on pads so I may try ordering the leather stick on or the poke a dots.

Thanks again. Glad to know I'm not the only one having a hard time getting used to a thimble.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabear
    replied

I use the Clover metal, open-sided thimble. It fits my finger without it feeling squished.

http://www.clover-usa.com/en/thimble...mble&results=8

Leave a comment:

• Cool Breeze Quilter
    replied

I haven't tried this one. Thimbles took a long time for me to get used to. Thimble It (like the one Cindirae shows) helped me to get more accustomed and then I graduated to a leather thimble with the metal piece in it (the one that stitchwishes shows.) That is my favorite one. I could never get used to the metal ones.

Leave a comment:

• K. McEuen
    replied

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]136399[/ATTACH]
    When I hand quilt I use Number 1. It is the only thimble that works well for me. The metal ones just feel weird and I end up not even using that finger when I have one on. I had #2, but it pretty much wore out in less than a week. Number 5 kept falling off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X