Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thimble Question/Opinion

Screen shot 2016-10-16 at 10.47.08 PM.jpg

Have any of you tried this thimble? If so do you like it......yes....no.......maybe. Why do you like or dislike it?

I'm trying big stitch quilting for the first time and the thimble I have is not cooperating with me. I'm sure that it can't be operator trouble. It was a pretty comical sight to behold.....me trying not to look completely uncoordinated using a thimble. I think I will enjoy big stitch quilting if I can find the right thimble for me.

Any suggestions or opinions will be helpful. Thanks.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Re: Thimble Question/Opinion

I haven't used this exact one, but I had one that was made of leather. I was quite fond of it, and know I am wondering where I put it!

Comment

I have purchased this thimble recently! It does fit my finger well; but, unfortunately I haven't truly gotten to use it yet......
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I just can't get used to a regular thimble - and I've tried a ton of them! Finally found these:
        image.jpeg
        https://www.amazon.com/Colorbok-Thim.../dp/B0012S4X3E
        They're great! Nothing covering my entire finger, so I can feel the fabric. I cut them in half and round off the edges, which leaves me with even LESS on my finger, and twice as many pads!
        Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

I use the 'old fashioned' metal ones, but have used "Thimble It" before. Sorry I am not much help, am I?
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have never found anything that actually worked for me, and I have one of everything.

Comment

Same here. I have my mom and grandma's old metal thimbles also. I have not tried a leather one or this one. But I probably look just as awkward. Part of my problem is small fingers-most don't fit well and are uncomfortable.

Comment

I have several thimbles but have found my favorite is the Colorbok Thimble Pad https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3D3W11MJZNGFPV

These are little leather pads that stick to your finger. I like that it only covers the area of your finger that you use the most. These little pads can be used more than once. I take it off my finger and place it on my needle threader so I have it ready when I rethread my needle the next time I am hand sewing.

My next favorite is Roxette thimble by Roxanne. A bit pricey but fits very nice. It gets a bit hot and sweaty inside the thimble in the summer, which is why I looked around and fount the thimble pads. If you want to get once of these, i suggest trying on different sizes to make sure you get the correct fit. BTW, the color does wear off these thimbles as time goes by.

Comment

That's on my list to try, it's probably good because Clover products are always well thought out and designed. However, a thimble is such a personal fit. EDIT: oops didn't realize it's made by Dritz!

I'm still searching for my perfect big stitch thimble too. What I've settled on for now is a Poke-a-Dot and a Clover leather ring, and often a Bohin finger cot to grab the needle. I adore the leather ring, but it did take awhile before I found the right position and turned it the right way (and once in a great while I replace the embroidery floss that ties it together). I sort of like an old generic thimble we had laying around, but not for long term wear. I really like the Clover leather coin thimble, though I'd like to try the two other versions of it that have more metal wrapped around the tip or side (hard to find outside Japan).

I've stolen this pic, #1 and #3 are what I like. There is also the "thumble" and I like it but it's a wee bit small and hurts after awhile as it digs into my cuticle area — but it's excellent for pushing through tough stitches so I keep it in my little case.
                  image.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]136399[/ATTACH]
                    When I hand quilt I use Number 1. It is the only thimble that works well for me. The metal ones just feel weird and I end up not even using that finger when I have one on. I had #2, but it pretty much wore out in less than a week. Number 5 kept falling off.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I haven't tried this one. Thimbles took a long time for me to get used to. Thimble It (like the one Cindirae shows) helped me to get more accustomed and then I graduated to a leather thimble with the metal piece in it (the one that stitchwishes shows.) That is my favorite one. I could never get used to the metal ones.

Comment

I use the Clover metal, open-sided thimble. It fits my finger without it feeling squished.

http://www.clover-usa.com/en/thimble...mble&results=8

Comment

Thanks everyone for the opinions and input. I have some of the Thimble It dots but they seem a little slick but I need to try them again. I like the idea of the stick on pads so I may try ordering the leather stick on or the poke a dots.

Thanks again. Glad to know I'm not the only one having a hard time getting used to a thimble.
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I have a silver one that belonged to my mother, so it's very sentimental for me. I think of her every time I use it. I've never used any of those products mentioned. I don't hand quilt. I've pretty much quit hand sewing the bindings. I use it mostly for sewing on the quilt label or for sewing on an occasional button.

Comment

I am a hand quilter and I use a stainless steel cone thimble from the thimblelady in Australia. Once you use one of these you will never use anything else!!

Comment

Working...
                              X