Wonky border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonky border

Help! I haven't done many quilts and have been working on this confetti quilt for awhile. The field went great but then I added borders... On the left side it seems to have pulled extra fabric. How should I fix it? When it's quilted (I was going to send it in to be machine quilted) I don't want it to fold on itself.

Re: Wonky border

Can you post a picture?

Are you in Hawaii? Welcome to the forum!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Can you share a photo? It might help us help you. In the meantime, I'll tell you how I make my borders. I measure across the quilt at the top, middle and bottom. I add those measurements and divide by three to get an average. Once I have the average, I cut the top and bottom borders that exact length. Next, I find the center of the quilt top and the center of the top border. I match the centers right sides together. I pin in the center and at each end. Then I pin every so often between the center and the end on both sides. I do the same for the bottom border. Once those are sewn on, I use the same method for the side borders. Make sense? I hope I've explained it well, but if not, let me know.

Kayla

Comment

20161016_132834.jpg20161016_135223.jpg

here are a couple of pictures. I just lined up the edges and sewed them on, should have pinned them along the way
        Should I try to remove them, pin, and try again?

Comment

I'm on Oahu! Are you in Kauai?

Comment

Yes, I am afraid if you want your borders to lie flat and not have tucks and pleats in them from the quilting, you do need to redo your borders. You have too much fabric in them and there really is not a good way to "quilt it out". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Comment

Ugh, will break out the seam ripper... This is my largest quilt so far and for my daughter so I want it to turn out well! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiiquilter View Post
                I'm on Oahu! Are you in Kauai?
                Yeah. Your quilt is pretty! I don't do very many borders, but these ladies always have great advice.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Your quilt is very pretty! I do my borders like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_SEZo6hEBI

Comment

It also helps if you sew from the middle to one edge, then sew from the middle to the other edge. In my experience, it seldom works to cut the border the exact measurement; sometimes one comes up short. I usually cut my strips 3-4" longer than the required measurement, then trim. Yes, I always pin all along the edges.

Did you consider binding it without any borders? It seems like just 1 pink border would be enough. IMO, the pineapple border doesn't seem to go with the solids of the quilt top.
                    Last edited by JCY; October 16, 2016, 10:46 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                      It also helps if you sew from the middle to one edge, then sew from the middle to the other edge. In my experience, it seldom works to cut the border the exact measurement; sometimes one comes up short. I usually cut my strips 3-4" longer than the required measurement, then trim. Yes, I always pin all along the edges.

Did you consider binding it without any borders? It seems like just 1 pink border would be enough. IMO, the pineapple border doesn't seem to go with the solids of the quilt top.
                      Now that I look back at it the pineapples are really cute, but don't fit in with this modern design.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love your quilt! You did an awesome job with the triangles! I agree with the others though that the cute pineapple border does not go with the moderness of your quilt. Unless you need the extra width and length, perhaps just a binding would be great for this one.
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

I am not crazy about the pineapple border either. Otherwise it looks like a nice quilt. Many quilts do not have borders so if yours is big enough without one I would take it off.

Comment

Just chiming in to say that your field is gorgeous!

Comment

I am sure everyone on here who has sewn for a while knows this, so I am talking to the folks who may be new at quilting and don't understand why you need to pin two perfectly equal straight pieces of fabric to get them to come out the same length:

A regular sewing machine (without a walking foot) "feeds" the fabric on the bottom, but not the top. So more of the bottom fabric gets moved along as you sew a long seam. Pinning every 8 to 12" makes each layer of fabric ease into the allotted space between pins gradually as you sew, so it can't grab more from the bottom. That extra fabric would be what makes wavy borders.
                              Sometimes it doesn't matter, but on borders it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X