Red & white bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red & white bleeding

I want to make a flag themed table runner for my daughter for Christmas, but am wondering about the red and white bleeding into each other and I don't want to end up with a pink American flag! Will color catchers prevent this? I will probably make it from JR strips which will not be prewashed.

Re: Red & white bleeding

You could test the red to see how much its going to bleed. Color catchers are good but I don't know if they are that good. lol
    Patrice S

Comment

I made a red, white and blue quilt last year. It was lap size, but I still threw in 6 or 8 color catchers, torn in half so they are distributed through the wash. After the first wash, I removed the catchers that had the most color and washed again. And repeat. Did not bleed at all. I save the catchers that don't have any color and use them on my next project, along with a few new catchers. Seems to be more economical that way.

Comment

Color catchers should work fine.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

I used batiks fat quarters for patriotic blocks..

I test them first.. with a warm water & soap bath. If they bleed, the batiks will bleed right away if they are going to. Then I prewash and rinse a lot in the kitchen sink. I'll rinse til the water is clear!!

After air drying I did starch & iron b4 using. The cotton sashing didn't seem to bleed, but I did use 4 color catchers in the wash.. So far there was NO bleeding. But in the beginning the batiks really threw off a lot of color.
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

I remember my mother used to put the red fabric in a big pot on the stove with really salty water and boil it. Set the colors so she didn't have to worry about washing them later. Wonder if that would work with todays fabrics?
            sigpic

Comment

There really isn't any need with today's fabrics for the most part. Except batiks and hand dyed fabrics, which probably WILL bleed.

Comment

I prewash any reds in warm water with Kosher salt. It's a trick I learned doing Tie dyed T shirts. Rinse well with cold water.

Comment

I have had excellent luck with Color Catchers. Make sure to remove the quilt from the washer as soon as it is done so the fabrics don't lay wet on top of each other.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                    I remember my mother used to put the red fabric in a big pot on the stove with really salty water and boil it. Set the colors so she didn't have to worry about washing them later. Wonder if that would work with todays fabrics?
                    It works. I am currently hand quilting a red and cream quilt. I did not prewash because I tested in my washer and it seemed to hold the color. When I started to remove the signs with cold water magicly the red bleed on the cream. I was devasted. So now I presoak every single fabric I buy in hot water with salt and this never ever happened again. But this is my experience and this is what works for me
                    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

I am a Color Catcher advocate, I prewash with them and then use them when I wash the completed quilt. It seems to be one of the few things that actually works as advertised!
                      Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.:icon_hi:

Comment

I'd use Retayne. You use a spoonful in the wash as you prewash your fabric. That will keep all dye where it should be!

Comment

Working...
                        X