Method for cutting strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Method for cutting strips

I have to cut a bunch of strips. What method do you find works best for you - power cutting (I watched Debbie Caffrey use this technique on YouTube) or using the Stripology ruler? Thank you!

Re: Method for cutting strips

I don't have the Stripology ruler (yet) but I think that's what it's made for! I just use my 6x24" ruler and cut 4-6 layers at a time.

Comment

I cut strips with my June Tailor shape cut ruler. It's similar to the Stripology. It's fast and accurate.

Comment

I purchased a stripology ruler a few weeks ago and I think it is totally worth it!
        Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Stripology ruler.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Check this out on Youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw

Published on Dec 29, 2014
            This demonstration was recorded during West Michigan Quilters' Guild's, "Quilts on the Grand" show in October. This tutorial shows how to cut layers of fabric quickly and accurately.
            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I am making a blooming 9 patch quilt, and my strips for the 9 patches were 1-3/4" wide. I have the June Taylor ruler and it wouldn't work to cut these strips. Our teacher for the class taught us how to cut the strips using the Debbie Caffrey method with the square ruler, and I found it to be quite easy and very accurate. I don't know about the stripology ruler, does it cut 1/4" increments?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                I am making a blooming 9 patch quilt, and my strips for the 9 patches were 1-3/4" wide. I have the June Taylor ruler and it wouldn't work to cut these strips. Our teacher for the class taught us how to cut the strips using the Debbie Caffrey method with the square ruler, and I found it to be quite easy and very accurate. I don't know about the stripology ruler, does it cut 1/4" increments?
                Stripology can cut 1/4 increments, but you have to do it in two sets of cuts. They have a little chart with the number for the first cuts, then you shift the ruler back to the 1/4" mark and cut the second set of numbers. Pretty easy to do. I made a copy of that chart and put it on my phone so I'll have it at hand.

I bet you can do the same thing with the June Taylor ruler. If it has a 1/4" mark near the first slot, you can do it too Jean.

But yeah, the Stripology is a machine when it comes to cutting strips accurately!

Comment

Hooked on Power Cutting (do not yet have the Stripology Ruler).
                  Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Snippet let me use hers at the 2015 forum retreat and I was hooked! Bought one and have used it many times - especially when I need to cut a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                      I looked this up and yes looks easy enough. Thanks.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have one of these and it works great for keeping the 6 X 25 ruler from slipping:
                        http://www.harborfreight.com/quickvi...index/id/1366/
                        I wet the suction cups and the keep suction for quite a while when I do that.
                        Also have the smaller one for square rulers.
                        Vonnie

Comment

Stripology ruler. I layer my 2.5 wide strip sets four deep, and stack them four sets tall, laying right next to each other. This way I am cutting sixteen strip sets at a time. And I find the 1/4 mark to be accurate and useable.

I love my Stripology ruler. It does not slip at all, ever.
                          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I use the stripology ruler as well, and as snippet mentioned - you can cut in 1/4" increments in two steps. There is a video on youtube showing how to do it.

Comment

I have the Stripology ruler as well as the June Taylor one. I like the Stripology one so much better. My only complaint about it is that I wish it could be about 1 inch deeper. The June Taylor one I found was just way too flimsy and I never use it. I also love my lipped ruler that hooks onto the edge of the cutting mat. I've had it for years and years and it is one of my favorites. Doesn't move! https://www.amazon.com/OLipfa-5-Inch.../dp/B000WME77I
                              I am Sew Blessed!
                              Alina

Comment

Working...
                              X