weighted quilt/ what do you use to get the weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weighted quilt/ what do you use to get the weight

A woman I know is a therapist and she has a child with a sensitivity disorder. She said one of the things that might work is a weighted blanket but the cost is $189 and the family can't afford it. she asked if I could make one.
    I don't know what they would use to weight it and how heavy would it need to be.

Re: weighted quilt/ what do you use to get the weight

Man-sewing did a tutorial on weighted blankets. Autistic children were mentioned in the video as benefiting from the weight. Its on you tube. Im on my mobile and cant get the link to work.
    Diana Grey

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Lady View Post
      Man-sewing did a tutorial on weighted blankets. Autistic children were mentioned in the video as benefiting from the weight. Its on you tube. Im on my mobile and cant get the link to work.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqiyDlJmus
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Rob did a tutorial on this.

Comment

After you watch Rob's tutorial, here's another link for the poly-pellets and a weight chart to help you figure out how much you'll need

http://www.mosaicweightedblankets.co...sFUaAl2A8P8HAQ

I think it's wonderful that you are considering to make this for their child.

Comment

There has to be a more efficient way of filling the quilt.

First, I would allow an extra two inches of backing at BOTH ends of the quilt. Only sew down the sides of the quilt. Turn it and set it aside.

Use a see-thru material like tulle. Seeing the pellets while sewing gives more control. If your quilt is made with 5" charms, cut the tulle 5" wide and the length of the quilt plus an extra 2 or 3 inches. Sew down the sides and the bottom with about 1/2" seams. Add pellets for one section at a time. Sew approximately every 5" across the tulle to contain the pellets. Sew the end closed. Now you have a tube of pellets that are spaced somewhat evenly from one end of the tube to the other.

Slip the tube inside the first channel of the quilt. Use your favorite basting method to hold the tubes in place at the top and bottom of the quilt. Fold over to the front of the quilt the extra 2" of backing and sew in place. This will hold the tubes in place at the top and bottom of the quilt so they don't shift.

I really don't think it would take anymore time to do this. The additional cost for tulle is minimal especially with a coupon at Joann Fabrics. There's a fair amount of fiddly going on Rob's way. Breaking needles is jolting and no fun. To me, the extra steps would be worth it to make for a smoother application.
            Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 13th, 2016, 09:54 AM.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

There are some on Pinterest too.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/?q=weighted+blankets
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                It just seems so fiddly. I wonder if it would be easier to take some sandwich bags that seal (not the zipper kind) and fill each plastic bag with the pellets to contain them. That way the little plastic bags could be dropped into each section, keeping them contained and in place before stitching each section closed. The other benefit is each bag could be weighed with a kitchen scale to make sure they have the right percentage of pellets in them. Breaking needles is no fun. I think this would definitely avoid the problem of having rogue pellets to contend with.
                I agree. If you don't want the plastic in the quilt use muslin or something like that.

Comment

Missouri Star sells the pellets for this
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

You can also make little pillow pockets out of muslin and then fill each with pellets and whipstitch the opening closed as you go you drop them down the rows sew across then drop the next set of filled pockets down. It keep those little things under control and out of your foot when sewing. For in the car or at school you can make weighted vest or a minky strip blanket with heavy batting in the middle those three layers are quite heavy and produce a nice weight.
                    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I made a heavy quilt out of denim for my niece's boyfriend who is autistic. Used denim on both sides. It didn't cost as much and was a lot easier.
                      If you want to use the pellets why not make like a duvet and cover so the pellets are in the duvet and the cover can be washed and changed as the child grows. He might not want cartoon dinosaurs when he is 13.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking of this all day while I've been cooking at the restaurant and have come to the conclusion that pellets don't make sense when it comes to cleaning the blanket. I thought of flax seed and rice, but they can't get wet either. So tonight, I came home and found two old tapestry throws and some faded and worn cotton tablecloths. I think, if I sandwich 5 layers, this will be very heavy. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and see if I have flawed thinking.

Comment

I made a very heavy quilt
                          Used damask and tapestry upholstery fabric for top + batting + minkee backing. The family who has it says their daughter has never slept better!!
                          Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
                          X