Quilt size and weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt size and weight?

I made this quilt for my cousin, she had a Kidney Transplant 5 years ago and now that Kidney is failing, she is now on dialysis. I want to get it to her asap... I was thinking to just back it with flannel and not put in batting... I don't want it to be too heavy or cumbersome so she can carry it with her.

Has anyone done that and does it work? Or should I go ahead and put in the thin cotton batting?

14517467_1300163260016841_9034314067183481867_n.jpg

Re: Quilt size and weight?

That sounds like a great idea. I know people do make quilts with just two layers - calliing them summer quilts. The flannel will give warmth and softness without the bulk.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

So sad to hear, but wonderful that she'll have this comfort with her. Actually I'd ask her. If it's cold or she's immobile a very long time, warmth would be appreciated. As long as it's a lap quilt the weight shouldn't matter unless she has strength issues.

In general I'd go for the snuggliest, most pliable option. I know people who have chemo, IVIG, it's hard being hooked up to lines and sitting in a chair that's not your own comfy one. You want something you can tuck around you, bunch up, not something that wants to pop open to a square shape and lay over you.

Comment

Another option would be to back it with fleece or minky. I have done that with just the top and minky or fleece, provides warmth, lightweight, and very "snuggly".
        I also would also ask her. Some patients are cold, others not so much. Depends a lot on the dialysis center and individual preferences.

Comment

I have made two lap size quilts using a very lightweight fleece for both the back and batting. The advantage is that is does not shrink or pill like flannel and you do not need to piece it as it comes in a wide width. Having had chemo in the past, I certainly appreciate how comforting a quilt that size and weight would be.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

I was making a gift quilt the other day and had some 80/20 poly batting that was very thin. I was amazed at how soft and fluffy it was when I finished and it would definitely add warmth.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

My Dad was on dialysis for nearly a year before he passed away and I can say that he was always so cold when he went for dialysis, so I would definitely add batting, so sorry to hear about your cousin.

Comment

I would add batting just for the warmth. Hospitals are always cold. A low loft poly or an 80/20 would work perfectly.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

I've made several quilts this way and they turn out very nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X