Can you put wool batting in the dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you put wool batting in the dryer

I am dying to use wool batting for the first time. CT has it on sale, today's last day 30% off. But I noticed it says machine wash and air dry. The quilt I am making is for a gift for a 20-something couple and I just know they would put it in the dryer. Would the quilt get ruined? Shrink to the size of a handkerchief?? It is Hobb's Heirloom Wool. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; October 10, 2016, 04:06 PM. Reason: Auto correct

Re: Can you put wool batting in the dryer

I have no experience with wool batting, but lots with wool blankets, and I would never (again) put one in the dryer.

If the young couple knows that they are receiving a quilt, why don't you ask them what they would prefer, making sure that they understand wool does not go in the dryer.

Comment

You could always make a notation on the label or gift card that you have used wool batting and give them laundering and drying instructions. Maybe even attach a piece of the batting packaging where it tells care instruction. I think they would appreciate the info and your gift!
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Some quilters will say never tumble dry wool batting & to hand wash the quilt in a tub, then lay it out on some old sheets on the grass, in the shade, to dry. I had a problem with that for a few reasons.

I've found that most say it should be okay if you stick to the maximum quilt distance. For mine it was maximum 4".
        And also wash on the delicate / gentle cycle (NO fast spin) & use the low heat setting on the dryer.

I made a wool quilt but haven't washed it yet. Before I quilted my big quilt I made a test sandwich & washed that. With the recommended quilt distance I had no issues after drying the test sandwich in the dryer. I was also using 2 layers of 100% wool batting. I think the brand is Pellon.

Comment

#1 rule for myself is that if I'm trying something new and gifting it, I promise I won't get upset. It's a gift. After its gifted I hope it gets loved a bit, but one cant control l anything past the moment of gifting.

Wool has hooks, barbs, it interlocks itself when wet and agitated. Knit items I could school you on. Quilt batting, well, I have no idea if perhaps it's densely quilted if that can keep the batting from shrinking or if it's treated to not shrink. I'm no help there. I'd wager there are some decent blog posts about it.

I'll bet it's fine to use. It's just not going to look like a show quality quilt after a couple washings. But it's not going to turn into a ball of yarn, otherwise they wouldn't make wool batting,

And remember, I know nothing about wool batting, this is my legal disclaimer!

Comment

I have used the .quilters dream wool, which I believe is maybe a bit different than the Hobbs, but I wash and dry mine, gently.
            Karen

Comment

I haven't used the Hobbs wool batting, but I made my son a quilt with the Quilter's Dream wool and it's been machine washed and dried a few times and it still looks fine. And he washed it in hot water (not recommended! )
              Sheryl

Comment

Working...
              X