Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curved Log Cabin.... what would you do the same, or differently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curved Log Cabin.... what would you do the same, or differently?

Hi all,
    I'm getting ready to make a curved log cabin per Jenny's direction. I'll be using Porcelain Blue by Northcott.

I have never made a log cabin, curved or regular. Is there any words of advice you'd share with me about this block? Have you made it and thought, "Next time I'll be more careful with this step", or "This would be so much easier if I had done ___________?"

Thanks for any input? I'd love to see pictures of any that you've done!

Re: Curved Log Cabin.... what would you do the same, or differently?

Main advice...keep the direction you are piecing in mind at all times....whether clockwise or counter-clockwise.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

That's excellent advice. I chain piece exactly the way Jenny shows in the tutorial. There's a Log Cabin group on the Group page, there are a few to view in there. Join the group, then post yours when finished! Good luck and have fun! I love that pattern!
      sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

It is a beautiful pattern! Just follow it exactly as Jenny shows. I made this quilt and I am not an expert quilter by any means. It came out wonderful. You make two halves and join them. I love this quilt. You will too. Don't be afraid of doing it.

Comment

I'm by no means an experienced quilter, ( Actually, I piece. I send my quilt tops to be quilted) but the log cabins are my favorite. I made this curved one a few months ago. It was not difficult at all. Don't think it was Jenny's pattern, but her pattern was the inspiration.WP_20160307_12_40_11_Pro.jpg

Comment

The Curved LC is simple. I needed more fabric than called for. I actually made two from the same fabric line...one was for our neighbors and the second one I made from the scraps is ours. I used the lighter colors toward the center and the darker ones in the middle and outside.

LC.jpglc2.jpg

Be sure to check out the LC Group. There's a gorgeous purple one you should see.
            Last edited by Bubby; October 11, 2016, 06:32 AM.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've made a few log cabins and the only problem I've has is that some blocks were a bit smaller, probably my fault. So now I cut the last 2 logs a bit wider so I can square up all the blocks to the same size.

Comment

Press, press, press . . after each time you stitch a seam. I tried just finger pressing and it didn't work as well for me. I've made one curved log cabin - but arranged them in circles. It will be a bit before I do another one - I basically got bored making the blocks. But, my grandson does love his quilt.
                AidanQuilt2.jpg
                ***Kathy***

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I love all of the pictures on here!

So... I started mine. I skipped Jenny's first step of cutting up 2.5 centers and then chaining them to the 1.5" strip and just joined the 2.5" and 1.5" strip to start with, then trimmed to 2.5".

I had read about scant 1/4" stitching prior to starting, and I was not getting a perfect 1/4" seam after pressing. I was having to square up after every log, which just makes me weary. I then figured out how to get a perfect scant 1/4" and now I'm just having to trim up the ends. I feel like I've won the lottery! Hahaha.

My only concern now is that I feel like I'm going to not have enough fabric to make 36 blocks out of the jelly roll. I may have to dig into my stash of other blues to make my outside logs. It sure is turning out pretty though!

Thanks again for all of your replies! I sure wish we could complete a quilt as fast as Jenny does in her tutorials!

Comment

Originally posted by klgls View Post
                    Press, press, press . . after each time you stitch a seam. I tried just finger pressing and it didn't work as well for me. I've made one curved log cabin - but arranged them in circles. It will be a bit before I do another one - I basically got bored making the blocks. But, my grandson does love his quilt.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]136187[/ATTACH]

I love how it turned out!

Good tip on pressing! I think this is the first time I've pressed after each seam and it's very tedious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                      The Curved LC is simple. I needed more fabric than called for. I actually made two from the same fabric line...one was for our neighbors and the second one I made from the scraps is ours. I used the lighter colors toward the center and the darker ones in the middle and outside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136179[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]136180[/ATTACH]

Be sure to check out the LC Group. There's a gorgeous purple one you should see.
                      Oh, those colors! Just beautiful! Off to look at the purple quilt. Purple is my favorite!

Comment

Originally posted by evy View Post
                        I'm by no means an experienced quilter, ( Actually, I piece. I send my quilt tops to be quilted) but the log cabins are my favorite. I made this curved one a few months ago. It was not difficult at all. Don't think it was Jenny's pattern, but her pattern was the inspiration.[ATTACH=CONFIG]136175[/ATTACH]
                        I like how it turned out! I'm really looking forward to playing around with placement!

Comment

I enjoyed making this quilt, did change the layout and would make another one, not difficult.P8030778.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
                            I enjoyed making this quilt, did change the layout and would make another one, not difficult.[ATTACH=CONFIG]136201[/ATTACH]
                            I love your quilt!
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                            X