Self-binding quilt SOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-binding quilt SOS

I have some experience quilting but still think of myself as newbie. I have a top pieced and it is ready to be quilted and I want to do self-binding. My question is (probably a really dumb one but please bear with me) is do I quilt the top before or after turning the backing fabric to make the binding? This quilt is a gift for someone and I really do need your help. So any help/suggestions will be so greatly appreciated.
    sigpic
    Teach me your ways, Lord. Help me control
    my tongue and speak words of kindness that
    encourage and build others up.

Re: Self-binding quilt SOS

I've only done one self binding quilt. I quilted it first and trimmed the backing to bind it.
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

If you are wanting the back to have quilting, then you are going to have to turn it before you quilt it.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Here is a good thread on it last year using batting and quilting.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...inding+blanket
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think there may be some confusion on what you mean by self binding. Jenny does a self binding baby quilt which is the thread Lorie has above. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about folding some of the backing over and making a normal looking binding. I suspect that may be what you are talking about. If so, then do the quilting first BUT there is one caveat. If you normally quilt off the top into the batting, you can't do that or you will not be able to trim up the batting and fold the back into a binding (ask me how I know!!). So be sure your quilting stops before you go off the top. Hope that makes sense.
          Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
            I think there may be some confusion on what you mean by self binding. Jenny does a self binding baby quilt which is the thread Lorie has above. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about folding some of the backing over and making a normal looking binding. I suspect that may be what you are talking about. If so, then do the quilting first BUT there is one caveat. If you normally quilt off the top into the batting, you can't do that or you will not be able to trim up the batting and fold the back into a binding (ask me how I know!!). So be sure your quilting stops before you go off the top. Hope that makes sense.
            I agree!

I have used the backing several times as the binding. When I was a teenager and my Aunt and Grandmother taught me how to quilt, we did this to all the quilts. We did not even call it binding. We called it hemming. Trim the backing twice the width of what you want to show on top. Just fold it under and hem away. There are several youtube videos out there showing how they do the corners.

I also like hemming the quilt when using a thick backing fabric like minky or fleece. That fabric is stronger than any cotton batting you can make. Years ago I made a quilt for the kids play room using fleece and I hemmed it. The edge of the quilt has not frayed at all. Have a throw made about the same time and the binding is very frayed - right through both layers.
            Vonnie

Comment

If it's the backing folded over, Rob shows how to do it in the tutorial he recently did with his daughter. They made a doll blanket.

Comment

I'm glad you clarified that about the backing being the binding. I was thinking she wanted to turn the quilt inside out to self bind and then quilt. That's a lot harder to get straight.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

You would quilt it first, then trim to double the width you want your binding to be. I would suggest at least 1" finished, so that you have plenty to work with. That would mean trim your backing to 2" after you quilt it.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

I apologize for the confusion in my terms. I did indeed mean to bring the backing over to the front and use it as the binding. I do appreciate the suggestions and advice you have posted and will definitely put them to use. I have so much to learn and this forum is exactly what I need. Many thanks again.
                    sigpic
                    Teach me your ways, Lord. Help me control
                    my tongue and speak words of kindness that
                    encourage and build others up.

Comment

Working...
                    X