Most unsatisfactory and bewildering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most unsatisfactory and bewildering.

Can someone explain to me how my binding ended up with these "lumps"? It was my first effort at making my own bias flange binding and I thought I had been pretty careful through the construction of the binding and its placement/pinning on the quilt making sure, I thought that the binding wasn't stretched or angled as I pinned and then sewed. These irregularities are not along the whole quilt.
    Attached Files

Re: Most unsatisfactory and bewildering.

If the fabric wasn't being stretched, perhaps the thread tension was too tight, and puckered the fabric? Maybe the double row of stitching intensified the effect, like smocking. It's not bad enough to worry about, in my opinion. And once washed, it will all crinkle anyway, so you are just ahead of the game.

Comment

Haha ha mine always looks like that! I think it's just fine. And whose gonna look at that anyway

Comment

Thanks ladies.... I appreciate the replies. Mmmm, I'm not so worried about the puckering around the stitch lines, it's more the binding itself. But, this one is destined to be slung over the back of the couch so I guess it's not a big concern but I do think I'll think twice before attempting a flange bias binding again; it's obviously not going to be my forte!
        Last edited by just4me; October 8, 2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I agree that no one would notice. I was having a hard time seeing what you were worried about. It looks better than most of mine ever do and I get real proud once I manage to get the binding on, perfect or not.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

Looks just like mine too!

Comment

Was gonna say mine always look like that. It works for me I see nothing wrong.
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thankyou everyone, I appreciate the comments, perhaps I need to stop looking at it for a day or two!

Comment

Mine always look like that too. It will be perfect after it is washed.

Comment

It looks like the fabric for the binding is flannel, yes? Flannel is bulky and so when you fold and sew the bulkiness can distort the seams. However, once it is washed, that is how it is going to look anyway. Your first picture you posted, is this of the binding before it is attached? It is possible the flannel fabric was flawed in the warp and the weft, which can affect how it drapes and lays.
                    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X