Background color choice help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background color choice help

Well, I need more help than just choosing. I don't even know where to start for once. I finally decided what to do with my On The Wing charm packs, I just got a gorgeous sunshine yellow trellis patten (gasp! storebought!) quilt and want to make a bed runner for it.

I get so bored working with white, though I love how it looks and may be the best choice here. But when I go look at colors I just get absolutely stumped. I love colored backgrounds, and wild colors and textures at that. My preference would be a Peppered Cotton.

Anyone have any wild ideas what to put with this fabric? I couldn't live without it and then found it too wild, even for my taste. Suddenly it has a way to come to life and I'm delighted.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Re: Background color choice help

I love it! Maybe a pale yellow. Play around with this a little.

http://blog.modafabrics.com/palette-builder/
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

It looks really cool on the dark fabric, perhaps a dark shade of blue. But then, you said you have this sunshine yellow quilt you want to coordinate it with and blue and orange and yellow are so complimentary. Try laying it on Orange. It might really pop.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

I used orange, white and yellow. I love On the Wings!
        Attached Files
        Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post

Thanks, Lorie, for this link. Really cool tool.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
            Thanks, Lorie, for this link. Really cool tool.
            Really easy to use too!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Oranges and yellows! You all have such good ideas, and Carrie your quilt is darling.

Now I'm hovering between something like the Peppered saffron and a pale yellow. I think some swatches are in order. I want to play up the blues, and not blend in the yellows so much that the yellow prints disappear.

Comment

I think a dark blue would make the other colors pop. Can't wait to see what you decide it will be great no matter what. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by scooter15650 View Post
                  I think a dark blue would make the other colors pop. Can't wait to see what you decide it will be great no matter what. Good luck
                  I think you're right! And it would be so much nicer against the yellow quilt. I have a blue in my stash that's just a little too dull and cool, but dark enough. Kona ocean or something in that realm with a warmer tone might just do nicely. M* even has some darker denim colors that might work. Thanks!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
                  Last edited by stitchwishes; October 8, 2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

that dark blue is lovely!

Comment

I love this blue!

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                        Oranges and yellows! You all have such good ideas, and Carrie your quilt is darling.

Now I'm hovering between something like the Peppered saffron and a pale yellow. I think some swatches are in order. I want to play up the blues, and not blend in the yellows so much that the yellow prints disappear.
                        Thank you! I'm giving this quilt a little girl who was adopted into our family from Uganda.
                        Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by ucarrieme View Post
                          Thank you! I'm giving this quilt a little girl who was adopted into our family from Uganda.
                          Oh how awesome! It will be treasured and loved, for sure. We have so many in our family who were adopted, it's all family

Comment

I ended up ordering Kona marine blue, it seems to have just a touch more green to it without leaning aqua but is almost like ocean. I think. It's so hard to tell online but I've had success every time, M* has very good color balance but ocean and marine were not good so I sifted the web and figured out the better option. Looks like a great color for stash, regardless.

I have RJR denim blue here, that was almost nice but did nothing for the small touches of green in the prints.

Thanks again everyone for the help! You got me to warm colors and that led to looking for a blue that wasn't such a cool tone.

Comment

Love that color palette builder... it's amazing what colors pop your image. Thanks, Lorie.

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post

Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                              :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X