easy angle ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easy angle ruler

Is the easy angle ruler and the Fons and Porter half and quarter square ruler the same or are they different?
    I don't want to buy the easy angle one if it is like the F&P one I already have. There are so many out there that are if not the same then very similar.

Re: easy angle ruler

We just got home from all day at the doctor and I am really too tired to go searching for mine. I seem to recall that they are different, but that could be my tiredness talking. I'm sure someone else will help you soon.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Not that I have either, so don't listen to me, lol. But I believe they're the same. The EZ markings look better to me, I like things a little larger and simple. The tiny details, one has a nipped corner I think, the other (F&P?) has the black corner you keep off the edge of the fabric to the same effect.

I study rulers and nobody pays me for it, haha! I'm fascinated by them but don't want to own them all.

Comment

I am taking a Bonnie Hunter class in the Spring and the easy angle is needed. Of course I have the F&P one. From what I can see in an on line picture they look pretty much the same, I guess I need to see them in person and compare.

Comment

If I were taking a class and it said I needed that ruler, I'd buy that so you have the same tool everyone else is using. It makes it easier for the teacher so she doesn't have to be explaining how to do things differently for one person. If you get the chance, talk to the teacher and ask them if it matters.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
            If I were taking a class and it said I needed that ruler, I'd buy that so you have the same tool everyone else is using. It makes it easier for the teacher so she doesn't have to be explaining how to do things differently for one person. If you get the chance, talk to the teacher and ask them if it matters.
            That is very wise advice!

The Easy Angle doesn't have quarter square markings like the F&P, so technically it's less functional but it is more simple and easier on the eyes and brain. But Bubba's right, it would be easier to keep in sync with a class if you have the same ruler. Keep it in its original package, and if you don't need it at the class you can return it.

Of course there's also the Creative Grids version, but since you're asking for a class I'll not muddy the waters any further

Comment

The few times I took a class they always sold the tools needed there. Maybe call and see if they will be selling it and wait until then.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I'm going to further muddy the waters for you. Bonnie Hunter has mentioned that she has a new ruler coming out this month or next called the Essential Triangle Tool. This new ruler combines in a single tool the two rulers she frequently uses in her quilts – the Easy Angle and the Companion Angle Ruler. I'm sure she will be showing this new ruler on quiltcam as soon as it is available. You may want to consider holding off purchasing anything until you are sure you wouldn't rather have her new tool. I think it is currently listed on her website as a pre-order item.

Lucky you for being able to take a Bonnie Hunter class! I love her quilts. Which pattern will you be working on?

Comment

I had a friend offer to loan me one of hers so I will be covered for the class.
                  I am going to be able to take 3 classes, Roll, Roll Cotton Boll, Smith Mnt Morning and Turkey Trot are the names I think.
                  I expect she will have the new ruler for sale at the classes so could get one then if I think it is a big improvement over what I have. Although I really hate to buy one if I already have one that does the same thing.
                  She is going to be in our area for 5 classes and speak at our guild meeting as well. There is another guild in the general area and they are "sharing" her with my guild.
                  I took a class from her when I first started quilting and loved her personality and quilting style. I wish I could afford to take all 5 but I do need to share her with others and don't need to start 5 new quilts at once.

Comment

Oh wow, all 3 of those quilts are on my to do list. I'm green with envy. What a great opportunity to learn from her. Be sure to let us know how it goes when the time comes.

I know what you mean about tools. I try to buy rulers that have more than one use because otherwise I'll end up with way too many tools I've only used once.

Comment

I've been using the F&P ruler to cut pieces for My Blue Heaven, and I see no reason to buy the others at this time. I did pick up Tri Recs a while back for her other patterns, but that's all I plan on investing for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                        I had a friend offer to loan me one of hers so I will be covered for the class.
                        I am going to be able to take 3 classes, Roll, Roll Cotton Boll, Smith Mnt Morning and Turkey Trot are the names I think.
                        I expect she will have the new ruler for sale at the classes so could get one then if I think it is a big improvement over what I have. Although I really hate to buy one if I already have one that does the same thing.
                        She is going to be in our area for 5 classes and speak at our guild meeting as well. There is another guild in the general area and they are "sharing" her with my guild.
                        I took a class from her when I first started quilting and loved her personality and quilting style. I wish I could afford to take all 5 but I do need to share her with others and don't need to start 5 new quilts at once.
                        Lucky You! I agree, I would take your friend up on her offer to loan the easy angle, but be prepared to buy the new tool if you think it would work better.

Have fun!
                        Last edited by dwil23; October 9, 2016, 01:15 AM.
                        Donna

Comment

Working...
                        X