100+ Year Old Quilt Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100+ Year Old Quilt Top

So this is a quilt top that my great grandmother completed. We found it in a cedar chest while cleaning out my grandmothers home after she passed. This quilt top is easily at least 100 years old. I am proud to say we have this piece of past generations. Does anyone have any tips on quilting a large star with eight points ? Or suggestions or finishing a quilt top of this age? The fabric is in very good shape! Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: 100+ Year Old Quilt Top

What a treasure! Did you weep when you found it? I know that I would have.

I'll let others comment on quilting. I tend toward stitch in the ditch, which would be impossible on this gorgeous star quilt.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
      What a treasure! Did you weep when you found it? I know that I would have.

I'll let others comment on quilting. I tend toward stitch in the ditch, which would be impossible on this gorgeous star quilt.
      I did not weep as I am not much of a cryer, but I feel a strong need to finish this quilt. My mom and I both have recently taken up quilting so I thing we are both going to do some quilting on it and call it the "Generations Passed" Quilt. Just trying to figure out how and what design would be best. My grandmother also left behind some fabulous fabric from way back when that you just can't find today. My mom and I are going to split it and each quilt separately with it so we each have a price of grandma in our homes.

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful find, I would have cried.

Comment

Originally posted by CCRichburg View Post
          I did not weep as I am not much of a cryer, but I feel a strong need to finish this quilt. My mom and I both have recently taken up quilting so I thing we are both going to do some quilting on it and call it the "Generations Passed" Quilt. Just trying to figure out how and what design would be best. My grandmother also left behind some fabulous fabric from way back when that you just can't find today. My mom and I are going to split it and each quilt separately with it so we each have a price of grandma in our homes.
          TREASURES indeed. I would have gotten goose bumps. I am not sure how you would quilt that but I am sure more suggestions will come along.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

My grandmother would have been about 20 if this quilt were 100 yrs old. She left many tops but alas her daughters did not think them valuable so they discarded them before asking if any of their children would like them. However, when I was 14, my grandmother brought one of the tops from Missouri out to Utah where we were living to teach me to hand quilt. She turned the quilt over to the backside and with a pencil, sketched her quilting design and we quilted from the back. She liked the fan pattern for quilting, but there are many books of quilting designs and I'm certain, you and your mother will decide on one you like. I will tell you that, by quilting from the backside, you are concentrating on the quilting and not on all the pretty colors so that may be of some help.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

It is beautiful and a wonderful treasure that you have.
              I think it should be hand quilted IF you do anything. Do realize once you put modern batting and backing on it, it will not be considered an antique any longer.

Comment

As for finishing it.. I would do repo fabric or if there is enough ExTRA fabrics, use that as the backing.
                Believe it or not, old blankets (wool) would have been used as batting.. (My Gram used old flannel sheets)

Then I would hand quilt it following the star pattern ( stitch in the ditch) AGAIN, My Gram made one like yours and she sewed along the seam lines.. it was beautiful on both sides.

Claire is correct in the dating of the quilt. It will be assessed/ born on the day / year you finish it. I had many blocks from a Great Gram and Great Aunt (they were sisters) that I finished quilting and the appraiser didn't consider the date of the blocks.. just the date it was finished. I did have 3 block left over and attached them to quilt (front) with a note of when and how they were made when I put it in the quilt show here.

But we now have a 4th generation quilt with lots of memories.. That UfO finally became a finish with lots of history in it!!
                Last edited by Granny Judy; October 5, 2016, 10:31 AM.
                Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                :icon_wave:

Comment

What a wonderful family treasure. What about applique?. Create a backround and applique the star? I'm hardly an expert at this, it is just the thought that came to me. In any case (you could also frame it as a wall hanging) , you have a piece of family history that is irreplaceable. God Bless. Enjoy.Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                    My grandmother would have been about 20 if this quilt were 100 yrs old. She left many tops but alas her daughters did not think them valuable so they discarded them before asking if any of their children would like them. However, when I was 14, my grandmother brought one of the tops from Missouri out to Utah where we were living to teach me to hand quilt. She turned the quilt over to the backside and with a pencil, sketched her quilting design and we quilted from the back. She liked the fan pattern for quilting, but there are many books of quilting designs and I'm certain, you and your mother will decide on one you like. I will tell you that, by quilting from the backside, you are concentrating on the quilting and not on all the pretty colors so that may be of some help.
                    This is a very interesting concept. I'd not heard of it before.

Comment

This is a beautiful quilt! Will you retain the star shape, or will you add fabric in the "v"s to make it squared/rectangle? If I had this quilt top I would hand quilt it...a quarter inch from each seam (inside each diamond). Whatever you do, it will be fabulous.

Comment

Lucky you, what a treasure that is! Since there are so many seams I would SITD and hand quilt it only. It will take a very long time but I think it probably took her a long time to make the top also. But when it is done it will be quite the masterpiece!! This looks like about a two year quilting project. Good luck and be sure and let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

Working...
                        X