Help broken bent needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help broken bent needles

OK so I'm in the middle of doing a decorative stitch on a Summer in the Park quilt and my needles keep bending and breaking. I am using a walking foot because it's so thick on the points and hard to get thru the 3 layers. My question is can i use a metallic needle with variegated thread or any Suggestions? Mahalo
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Help broken bent needles

OK so I'm in the middle of doing a decorative stitch on a Summer in the Park quilt and my needles keep bending and breaking. I am using a walking foot because it's so thick on the points and hard to get thru the 3 layers. My question is can i use a metallic needle with variegated thread or any Suggestions? Mahalo
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Re: Help broken bent needles

I think that needle will work because the hole is larger and the thread won't shread. Good luck sweetie.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
        I think that needle will work because the hole is larger and the thread won't shread. Good luck sweetie.
        Thanks so much
        sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Can you quilt around the thick parts instead of straight through them? A larger needle might help. perhaps a jeans needle if you have one.

Comment

I find, when I get to a thick part, I really slow down and just let the needle go slowly thru those parts I don't break as many needles. Heavy duty jeans needle might be a good idea.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

What size needle are you using? You may have to go to a bigger needle 16 or 18 for the thickness. I tried a larger needle on a sample piece. Make it exactly the thickness that you are working on and see if that helps. It sounds like that may be the problem. Hope this helps

0 Thanks

Comment

Try a titanium needle. Practically indestructable.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

I know the thick seams are most likely the culprit, but curious if the walking foot is interfering with the needle at all? I have a walking foot that really should only be used for a straight stitch, and is incompatable with any type of decorative stitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                    I know the thick seams are most likely the culprit, but curious if the walking foot is interfering with the needle at all? I have a walking foot that really should only be used for a straight stitch, and is incompatable with any type of decorative stitch.
                    I have heard that before.
                    Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                    X