Crosscut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crosscut?

I'm starting on a quilt called America's Garden and I'm afraid I bit off more than I can chew. The first thing in the instructions is to "Cut 3 strips 17 1/4" x 40"; crosscut 5 squares, 17 1/4" by 17 1/4".

I've only cut straight squares, so it sounds to me like crosscutting squares in on the bias. Is that right?

Is there a tutorial to show how to do this? I have rotary mat and cutter, but have never cut on the bias.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Crosscut?

Originally posted by tennisalley View Post
    I'm starting on a quilt called America's Garden and I'm afraid I bit off more than I can chew. The first thing in the instructions is to "Cut 3 strips 17 1/4" x 40"; crosscut 5 squares, 17 1/4" by 17 1/4".

I've only cut straight squares, so it sounds to me like crosscutting squares in on the bias. Is that right?

Is there a tutorial to show how to do this? I have rotary mat and cutter, but have never cut on the bias.

Any help is appreciated.
    As you've described it I believe this just means you need to cut those three strips into squares that measure 17 1/4 by 17 1/4. I'm sure someone will provide a more intelligent answer as to why this is called cross-cutting.....
    Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

I am sure somebody else will chime in but I would read that as ...........from each 17 1/4" WOF strip cut across the strip to make 17 1/4" squares.
      You wil get 2 squares from each strip, so you will use 2.5 WOF strips.
      Is this the quilt you are making?
      http://www.quiltcrossing.com/shop/Bl...-x12757375.htm
      It looks lovely.

Comment

I've usually seen or heard it callled subcutting. You just need to cut 5 squares that are the measurement you need however is the easiest for you.o
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Instructions usually say to "subcut" the strips into squares, instead of saying "crosscut."

Comment

Someone here is making that quilt but I can't remember who...hopefully she will see it and chime in.

Comment

I think everyone has answered you well, and my thoughts are the same. Cut it one way and then cut in across the other to make the cuts. Strange language though, I might add
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Thanks everyone!! Yes that is the quilt I'm making. After reading the instructions several times, I finally got that I should do exactly what you all are saying--just make squares (not on the bias). Cut it one way and then across the other. I was overthinking!! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Cokie View Post
                  Someone here is making that quilt but I can't remember who...hopefully she will see it and chime in.
                  It's me....I answered her in the other post.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

That's a lovely pattern but too many things to go wrong in my inexperienced hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X