Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining border strips

Hi all

I've only ever done a single border on quilts & this time I would like to try a double border. I have a few questions about borders in general & I'm curious about what you lovely quilters do in the same situation.

1. How do you join border strips? On the diagonal or straight seam? I've read that for <3" wide strips to do diagonal seams & straight seams for wider borders?

2. Would it look odd to do diagonal seams on the narrow inner border & straight seams on the wider outer border in the same quilt?

3. I'm using solid colours for both borders. Where do you place the seam lines in joined strips to make them the least noticeable?

4. Instead of joining pieces cut on the width of fabric is it okay to cut borders from the length of fabric so there are no joins? This is what I've done in the past but I've read that it's not the best way.

Re: Joining border strips

I have always done straight lines on joining borders. Not sure what the "rule" is, but this is what I do.
    I think it would be noticeable to mix straight and diagonal seams on borders.....my opinion.
    I stagger the seams lines on borders.....put one on the top on one side and near the bottom on the other side......then if I have to seam the next border, I flip them the other way.....hope that makes sense.
    I have cut borders the long way before......it worked out, but seemed to waste a lot of fabric. I didn't have issues with stretch or waves. I am not sure that warp and waft would be equal,but it worked for me.

Not sure what the real or best way is.......just do what works for me. Seems to be ok!

Comment

Probably once your quilting is complete, the seams in the border won't matter much.

Comment

try not to overthink it and make the best use of your fabric. I've cut border from wof and lof and no noticeable difference. Depends on how you plan to use your leftover fabric.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

I prefer the look of diagonal seams on my borders regardless of their width except on stripes and plaids, and then I use a straight seam so I can match them. It's personal preference.....do what you like best.

When I use multiple borders I join the seams the same way on all of them.

It doesn't matter where you place your seamed borders as long as they don't fall in the corners. Sometimes it just happens that they end up in the corner and it's not that big of a problem...just a bit of extra bulk. If you have multiple borders that are pieced I think it looks better if the seams aren't right next to each other.

It's fine to cut your binding lengthwise or WOF. I find binding cut WOF (from selvedge to selvedge) a bit easier to work with because it has a little more flex that lengthwise binding. If you are binding curved edges (such as scallops or wavy edges) you need to cut bias binding.
          Last edited by Bubby; October 2, 2016, 10:10 PM.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Once it is quilted it won't matter if they were straight or diagonal seams. I have also put all my borders together and then treated them as one wide border when attaching to the quilt. I personally like this better because I HATE putting on borders. It is also easier for me to miter the corners this way. This somehow tricks my brain into thinking I only have to do it once. My mind is a simple place

Comment

I use a mitered seam on all my borders regardless of the width of the border. I think it comes down to personal preference.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

If you are running short on fabric, using straight seams for joining borders will take less fabric. Have done both diagonal and straight seams on borders, I generally use straight seams. Don't use LOF to cut borders as I like the little bit of give on WOF to not get borders with waves.

Comment

If my border is <3 ", I join diagonally. The diagonal seam creates less bulk in one place. However, the same diagonal seam wastes a bit of fabric, which is why it is advised to create a straight seam for a larger border.

I don't see a problem with joining different widths of borders with different type seams, but, of course, this could be personal preference. After quilting and washing, most joins don't seem noticeable to me.

I try to alternate when my border strips join. So, on the side borders, one join would be at the top, and on the other side, I would put the join at the bottom. For the top and bottom borders, I would make one to the left and the other to the right. I'd do the opposite with the second borders.

It is perfectly okay to cut your border from the length of fabric. I believe many do it this way to avoid having to join strips. It does require more material, though, as you have to buy enough fabric to accomodate the length of your longest borders. Of course, the remaining fabric can be put to good use in other projects, or even used in a pieced backing.
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

All borders were joined with a strait seam. Check this out.160726-121900.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
                      All borders were joined with a strait seam. Check this out.[ATTACH=CONFIG]136030[/ATTACH]
                      That's great! Awesome borders!

I ended up using straight seams on mine as well. The inner border is a solid grey & the seams are not very noticeable. Once it's quilted I'm sure they'll disappear.

For the outer border I was going to use a solid grey-ish blue but that didn't work out. It just didn't go with the rest of the colours on the quilt top. I had enough of the fabric left over from the quilt top to do a two-tone outer border. I'll try to get pics this weekend when the light is good.

Comment

Working...
                      X