How to quilt my throw quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to quilt my throw quilt

Hi, I am pretty new to quilting and this is just my third quilt, made from the Wool and Flannel IV layer cake. It's a Christmas gift that I wanted to do myself from start to finish instead of sending it out to be quilted after it was pieced. So far, I have sewn a line on each side of the horizontal seams. It doesn't seem like enough, but I'm not sure what else to do to it. I don't think it'll be very effective to now run a line on each side of the vertical seams (where the rectangles join). Should I sew an "X" in some of the large blocks, or maybe just place a tie in some of them? I have not done any FMQ before so that is not an option for this particular quilt.

Thank you!
    WIN_20161001_171716.jpg

Re: How to quilt my throw quilt

I like the idea of an X in the large blocks. I'd do it in all of them. Or you could do straight line stitching evenly spaced across all the rows. Maybe about 2 inches apart. Check your batting instructions to see what spacing it recommends. I really like your quilt.

Comment

Nice quilt and great colors! Would you consider doing big stitch quilting on this? You do it by hand but it goes pretty fast. Use #8 Perle cotton thread, do not use embroidery floss!! If you have the Vines & Scallops ruler from Quilt in a Day you can mark the blocks -- make four arcs in each block (one arc per side) with the curved part going toward the center. You can achieve the same thing with a saucer or plate, just turn the plate upside down before you trace it. Am not sure the size of your block just look for a plate around the same size aand Mark the arc stop and start lines on the back of your plate with washable marker or dry erase, so that the arcs will be the same curve for each line.
      Last edited by jjkaiser; October 1, 2016, 04:52 PM. Reason: better explanation

Comment

I like your quilt. Try more straight line quilting . Here is a sample of what I did with the last throw I did. You don't have to do as much as I did. Just draw some lines and use that walking foot and before you know it you have a quilt with great designs. Good luck !
        mythrow2.jpg
        mythrow3.jpg

Comment

This isn't the greatest picture but you get the idea

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate them and the encouragement. I'm going to put a little more thought into it and then make a decision about what to do. Thank you!

Comment

If you decide to tie knots in some of the blocks, I think red would look nice. Love the quilt, pretty colors.

Comment

Working...
              X