Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nylon or polyester monofilament......how to identify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nylon or polyester monofilament......how to identify?

I have 2 spools of monofilament thread approximately 2 years old. One of them is labelled "Signature Nylon monofilament", the other has no label. So my question is: how can I identify the type of mono the unlabelled spool is? And is either better or more preferred than the other?

Re: Nylon or polyester monofilament......how to identify?

Or maybe, if anyone has a spool of the monopoly could they post a pic of what the end of the spool looks like once the label is peeled off so I can compare it to the unlabelled spool please?

Comment

There are several brands at Red Rock Threads. Maybe one will look familiar to you.

http://redrockthreads.com/misc-threa...ble-thread.asp

Comment

The nylon will melt but the poly will not. I'd suggest testing each separately by putting a strand between two pieces of scrap fabric (making sure no thread is hanging out where your iron will touch it; the nylon will fuse the fabric together). I've used a nylon thread by Superior to fuse appliques. The technique was putting the nylon in the bobbin and the poly in the needle - the nylon melted and the poly released once it was warmed by the iron.

Comment

Thankyou katier825 and snowbird. Most appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X