Using wool for a rag quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using wool for a rag quilt

Has anyone used wool - like for suits- in a rag quilt? Would it work, would you wash it first to get the shrinkage done before cutting, do you think it would crinkle like flannel?
    I helped a friend clean out after his wife's death and got bags of woolens, flannel, cottons and some mixed stuff. I'm using the flannel to make him a quilt but was wondering what to do with the woolens.
    :icon_rolleyes:There are 3 kinds of men
    The one who learns by reading
    The few who learn by observation
    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence themselves
    Will Rogers
    :icon_shake:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. Harry S Truman
    :icon_shake:

Imperfect action is better than perfect inaction.
    :icon_giggle:

Re: Using wool for a rag quilt

I'm not sure that wool will rag. My grandmother used to make braided rugs out of old wool clothing, don't think she ever used any in her quilting.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Typically washing wool felts it (a combination of water/heat) and it will not fray. I cannot recall the % of shrinkage when wool is washed (thinking 10-20%). Felted wool is wonderful for applique work and rug hooking. Also, Maggie Bonanomi uses wool for her quilts but have not seen any made into rag quilt. Personally, I'd shy away from making a rag quilt with the fiber.

Comment

My FIL made heavy quilts out of men's suits. They were just squares, with a flannel backing, not rag quilts. Back in the day, it got cold in the house at night, and if you were under one of those, you were pretty cozy. And couldn't move much, lol.

Comment

Working...
        X