Flannel instead ob batting for rag quilt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel instead ob batting for rag quilt question

Good morning I am going to make a rag quilt using flannel layer cakes and white flannel instead of batting. I saw in several posts that if you use three layers of flannel it is not necessary to quilt an X in the blocks. Other posts say you do need to quilt. Welcome hints from my M* forum buddies.
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Re: Flannel instead ob batting for rag quilt question

In my User Notes I have a lot of information on making rag quilts. I always use three layers of flannel and no batting. I DO sew an X in each block. I make my blocks a little larger so I can have a 3/4" seam so I get really full fringe when the quilt is washed and dried.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you Bubby. Your notes are very helpful.
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I used 3 layers of flannel on the few rag quilts I've made so far and I also always sew an X through the centers. I've never read about not doing so but in trying to visualize it, I think you'd lose a little charm and texture.

Thanks from me too Bubby for referencing info in your User Notes. Very helpful! When you don't sew the X corner to corner, is it still possible to chain piece or do you sew each set of squares individually?

Comment

I always use 3 layers of flannel in my flannel rag quilts. I think if you didn't do the X your squares may get distorted after a few washings, due to the fabric ending up in different directions (WOF vs LOF) if that makes any sense.
          You can still chain piece also.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Don't forget you need to cut your middle flannel square smaller than the outer squares,so without the x it would be easy for the fabric to shift.
            :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Originally posted by stationarymom View Post
              Don't forget you need to cut your middle flannel square smaller than the outer squares,so without the x it would be easy for the fabric to shift.
              You don't have to cut the middle layer smaller when it is flannel because it rags nicely. You only have to cut the middle layer smaller it you use batting.
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

If you use white flannel inside darker flannel, is the look of the ragging adversely affected? Would it be better to not see the white flannel?

Comment

I personally think the white flannel in the middle would really add an interest - maybe you can do a small sample and wash it to see if you'd like it.
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

The flannel layercake I am using is Little Ruby - nice bright colors. I thought I had ordered cream but must have clicked wrong button. Think I would have learned not to do my shopping late at night. Thank you all for your input.
                    Hillary Clinton

Comment

Working...
                    X