Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crooked fabric panel

Hi,
    I purchased the Colors of Freedom panel. I've cut out all the work that I'd planned on using around the panel, but I just noticed that the panel is one inch longer on one side. Is there a way to 'fix' the panel to be square without cutting it down? Is it just misprinted on the fabric? I could just cut the top and bottom away, but really like the patterns there. Thanks!
    Robin
    flag.jpg
    Last edited by rjdavid; September 27, 2016, 02:24 PM. Reason: add photo

Re: crooked fabric panel

You could try 'blocking' it like you do with a wet sweater. Then iron and starch it. I can't think of anything else.

Welcome to the forum!!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hello, Robin, and welcome to the forum! I think you are right about the panel being misprinted. It happens sometimes if the base fabric gets pulled or stretched in some way while the printing is happening. And I think Lorie's idea is a good one; get it good and wet, and then iron it dry, pulling into shape as you go.

Depending on how you piece the top, you may be able to make it such that the difference is hardly noticeable. Please show us how it turns out!

Comment

I agree with Lori too :-)
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Robin, please wait until more suggestions come in before cutting or blocking. The picture looks to me as if the right edge of the blue fabric is longer than the left edge. Is that correct? If so, try folding the right edge of the blue fabric into a dart (as when sewing clothing) and let the dart taper from the outer edge toward the center, until the panel looks straight. Make this dart where the blue fabric meets the row of blocks at the bottom. I hope I'm explaining this well. Maybe someone else can rewrite it and make it clearer.

Comment

From the pic, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think I'd use it like it is.

Comment

I would try pulling the opposite corners. My mom would always have me do this with fabric to straighten the grain. If that didn't work, I would then go with Lori's suggestion. Someone may have a valid reason why my suggestion won't work.

Comment

I remember in home ec in the early 60's we were told to pull a thread from the fabric across the grain to straighten it.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

I agree with you that cutting isn't the best option. I think Karen and Lori gave you great suggestions for fixing the issue. Good luck! Let us see your finished quilt.
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    From the pic, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think I'd use it like it is.
                    I believe the pic she posted is a stock photo. IMO
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

If it were me, I think I'd contact the merchant and ask if it can be exchanged. That way you don't have to fool with trying to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                      X