binding on bias or in strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

binding on bias or in strips

I have made bindings by cutting the fabric on the bias and I have made them with straight strips. Which is the correct way. I will tell you that unless I am making a bag with a curve, I can't tell much difference. How do you all do it.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: binding on bias or in strips

I'm still cutting strips... because it is more cost effective for me than try to do the bias cutting. No short ends to work with. And Not having a large area to work in... strips work best for me.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

I use to use straight strips, but once I learned how to make my own bias binding, I haven't gone back since.

I like how the bias strips are more flexible so I can manipulate it if I need to cover stitching from the other side. I love how the finished binding lays smoother than strip binding and when using prints you often end up with a much more interesting binding, especially stripes! And I've read that bias is more durable than straight as there is less tension on the fabric thread.

Comment

I still use strips unless I have a curved item I'm working on. I agree I like the effect of a bias binding with striped fabric.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I have been making bias binding for many years. Much easier to work with and more flexible so it wears better. I do use the tube method so its all one continuous strip.

Comment

I have made it both ways but honestly unless I'm doing curves I usually go with cross grain strips. The other time I make the effort for bias is with stripes or checks. They just add a little extra when they are cut on the bias. I've also heard bias holds up better but really I've had no problem with the cross grain bindings.

Comment

If I have curves I do a bias binding. Otherwise I feel comfortable with strips binding (also for the cost of fabric! )
              My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

I've done binding both ways and I don't have a strong preference for when I'm dealing with a square or rectangular quilt.

Like others have said, if you have curves (or if you have odd angles), bias binding is definitely superior.

Comment

I have only tried the regular strips but want to try the bias and found this on craftsy
                  http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/02/...ding-tutorial/
                  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Thats the way I've been doing it for years, except I slide the tube over the ironing board, making it easier to turn, and less likely to have a mis-cut.

Comment

Even Jenny says the only time you need bias binding is if you are binding curves. Use width of fabric. It is just easier.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

The correct way is the way you like it. Oh, you can get technical about how bias will wear better because so many threads crisis cross the edge, straight of grain only has one thread running on the edge and if that wears it will fall part faster. But honestly I think fabric is so well made these days that the whole quilt will probably be worn and shabby by the time SOG binding fails.

For me it's all about the print direction. I was just reading about a Julie Herman quilt where she cut her strips on a 60* angle just to get the stripe the way she wanted it. And it sounded maddening to line up the stripes on the joins, hah! I'd have to be possessed by a fit of creativity to tackle that binding madness!

Comment

Yep. Your quilt. Your way.

Comment

Very good point.
                            Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                            The correct way is the way you like it. Oh, you can get technical about how bias will wear better because so many threads crisis cross the edge, straight of grain only has one thread running on the edge and if that wears it will fall part faster. But honestly I think fabric is so well made these days that the whole quilt will probably be worn and shabby by the time SOG binding fails.

For me it's all about the print direction. I was just reading about a Julie Herman quilt where she cut her strips on a 60* angle just to get the stripe the way she wanted it. And it sounded maddening to line up the stripes on the joins, hah! I'd have to be possessed by a fit of creativity to tackle that binding madness!
                            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X