Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you unquilt nests under backing on longarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilt Junkie
    replied
    Re: how do you unquilt nests under backing on longarm?

Anytime ive had a problem i just rip it out to the begining of the bad stitching and tie off my original thread and re start. Im not sure i understand your question about multiple threads....ultimately its all one continuous line of thread.

Leave a comment:

• bttyboopette
    replied

lulu, sometimes I will clear that nest, having the bobbin thread on the top(a few inches worth of both the top and bottom), and restart a few stitches back from there, look for a spot where you've changed directions, an intersection, or a place where the stitches don't show because of fabric color maybe. then be sure to sew over those last few stitches with new stitches, that should secure it. it really depends on whether or not this quilt will be washed, ALOT.

Leave a comment:

• lulu
    replied

So you rip and just stitch over it? You don't knot of the threads where you finishing ripping? Does stitching over it hold it?

Leave a comment:

• lulu
    replied

I have seen a tie off video. Thanks!
    So you rip out from the top?

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

Originally posted by lulu View Post
    FYI - It's a big area - like entire length of longarm by at least 12"
    Oh Lulu, so sorry to hear this. I've been in this boat before and I know how it feels (my first attempt at long arm quilting). I ended up folding the quilt in half so the nest was on the inside, and turning it into a big pillow for my dog. Of course I didn't like the quilt to begin with, so I'm sure you didn't want to hear my solution.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

I rip past the area to a place not so noticeable. I pull up the bobbin thread and tie it in a knot with the top thread. Leah Day suggests using a needle and hiding the tails in the quilt and pulling enough that the knot goes into the quilt. Then snip the thread tails.

I have tried googling for a video on this but I guess I'm not using the right words in the search. Anyone else know of a video showing how to tie off the loose threads? I'm a visual person also and I remember seeing it a couple of times but don't remember where except that I'm pretty sure Leah Day was in one of those videos.
    Last edited by Vonnie; September 27, 2016, 05:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lulu
    replied

well once you rip them out - i believe you can't just let them be - they need to be ended or tied off or something! otherwise we leave a loose end!

Leave a comment:

• lulu
    replied

ok but thanks

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Sorry for your problems. My LA is a table model, so I just remove the quilt from under the needle. I don't recall getting "nests". Usually I rip if there is a tension problem (doesn't happen often) or my arms are getting tired & I moved the quilt sandwich the wrong way or I'm not happy with a few of the stitches. I've never had to rip a large area. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

Oh my :-(. I think I'd just put my mind adjusted for the long haul, get a stool and spend a few hours a day. Sometimes you can get yourself into a trance (good music helps) and the time goes by faster. I've done this for a width of about 70 inches but the most was a length of about 7". You do eventually get into a grove. Best not to think about how ticked off you are though.

I guess I don't understand what you mean about locking the stitches you rip out. You're ripping them out so there not there anymore. When I 'm done ripping you just restitch over it. If you mean getting the short ripped stitches out I usually pick them out as I go. However I did find that quite often I can rip one stitch, then unloop the next in line (unravel) until I can grasp it pretty well. If I then go back say another inch or two and clip there too I can usually just pull and get a couple of inches to come out at once. It all depends on what stitch length I put the stitch regulator at.

Leave a comment:

• lulu
    replied

FYI - It's a big area - like entire length of longarm by at least 12"

Leave a comment:

• lulu
    replied

how do you lock the stitches you rip out?

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

I usually use a seam ripper and slowly rip the top threads out. Fortunately so far I have not had a big area of nests. If the nest is close to the sides I can usually get a sharp scissor underneath and cut small hanks of the nest so they are easier to then rip out from the top.

Leave a comment:

• cindirae
    replied

I advance the quilt, take off the nest that comes over the roller, then unroll it back.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

I have high blood pressure so going under is out of the question.

I recently had to do this. I felt with my hand where it is underneath the quilt. Then I carefully use my seam ripper or a small sharp pair of scissors to take out the stitches on top. I get a tail going on top and use that to pull up the bobbin thread at the beginning and end of the mess. Once I clip all necessary top stitches, I reach underneath and grab the nest and remove it. I also use those tails to tie off and hide the ends of the thread. I use Fons and Porter self threading needles and a pair of tweezers. I also have a large makeup mirror that has a handle on it. I bought one of those inexpensive stick on lights and use that to look under the quilt.

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Vonnie; September 26, 2016, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X