Best thread for t-shirt quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thread for t-shirt quilts

I have just started making t-shirt quilts, but have run into issues finding the right thread to use when quilting on my long arm. I have found that 50 wt. thread skips stitches and 40 wt. thread sinks into the t-shirt fabric at spots so that it looks like the stitches were skipped. Any suggestions?

Re: Best thread for t-shirt quilts

Applying an iron on, very very light inner facing can make all the difference in the world when piecing a
    knit having relatively little mass from front to back, like T-shirt fabric. You could then piece as usual.
    The long arm may handle it better also. At least it's worth a try. You will certainly gain a little more
    control over the fabric and the needle placement. Oh well...that's my suggestion, for what it's worth.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have been using interfacing on the t-shirts --- I have even used a couple of different kinds -- and I get the same results.

Comment

I wish I could help, but I've never been lucky enough to quilt one on a longarm machine. I do remember having an issue with just one shirt in a quilt, and I solved it by ripping those stitches and not quilting that area, just the ditch around it. I had used featherweight pellon and 50 wt thread at the time. Look at him, doesn't he just scream "problem block"?
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X