• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenC
    Rotary Pro
    • Nov 2014

Using 2 types of batting in the same quilt

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using 2 types of batting in the same quilt.
    I'm thinking about using 100% wool batting for one layer & 50/50 cotton/bamboo for the other layer. I like the wool for the warmth & the cotton/bamboo for the drape.

A test sandwich is my next step but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has tried this.
  • Lasykate
    Fabric Fanatic
    • Sep 2016

Re: Using 2 types of batting in the same quilt

Hi...this idea is totally within the realm of possibility. Be cognizant of the hand and thickness of the two
    styles of batting. Holding them together in your hands may be enough for you to determine how they
    will work. I know someone who actually used old wool army blankets for batting ! It worked ! I have never
    experimented like that. However, to give them a little control over sliding against each other, (if they do
    slide against each other), you may try a little quilting adhesive spray between the two. Just enough to cut
    down on slippage. Just thinking out loud. Like I said, I have never done it. But you can do anything you want,
    if it works. Right?? The more I think about it; the more it starts to sound like an interesting concept.
    I'm wondering if it would feel slightly different turning it to the wool side and then turning it over to the
    50/50 side. You won't know the answer that question until you actually finish building it ! I may try your idea
    my self. See what you have done. Now I am going to try it !

Comment

• PrettyCurious
      The Guild President
      • Mar 2016

I have used two layers of batting for insulated curtains. They end up poofy, which is the point, but I don't think I'd do a quilt that thick.

Here's my thoughts: Wool is heavy, and I have on my list, the wish to do a wool quilt. I probably will use thin batting if any, because when we typically pull the quilt up to our chins while sleeping, or pull the edges when making the bed, the heavier the quilt is, the more likely all that pulling will incease the wear and tear on it.

So what you want is a cotton quilt with wool batting, which is fine, but I think you will lose your drape by adding a 2nd layer of any batting. I do not think the cotton/bamboo layer will add drape if you're already unhappy with the drape with wool alone.

I think the warmest quilt batting was discussed before, and the general conclusion was to layer entire quilts, or placed the quilt over another blanket, as opposed to adding more layers of batting to one quilt. That was just for warmth mind you. I am pretty sure no one thought you'd get much drape with two layers.
      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• SuzyQue
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2010

Yes, definitely! I have seen all kinds of battings layered together. It can improve your drape, the fluffiness, the warmth......lots of things. Lots of professional quilters use 80-20 with a wool batt when they do their show quilts. They put the wool on top! It really makes your quilting pop and gives just the right density and depth to your designs and texture. Be sure to check the washing instructions or use the most conservative one for your label.

Comment

• Sylvia H
          Missouri Star
          • May 2014

Cindy Needham suggests splitting your wool batting into two layers and placing one layer on top of your cotton batting. The wool batting should face the quilt top. The reason for doing this is that wool has a better memory after being quilted, it is puffier, and it "remembers" to stay puffy. The cotton batting will give you the drape that is nice on a quilt. I'm not sure how much warmth the split wool will provide, but it will certainly make your quilting pop.

I am so glad I came across this thread. I forgot about this technique, and actually want to use it with one of my UFOs.
          Last edited by Sylvia H; September 26, 2016, 01:36 AM.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Renate
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

Thanks for your Posts, I never thought about using different battings in one quilt, but now I do.

Comment

• CheyMom14
              Binding Belle
              • Sep 2015

I've only done this once but it's the warmest quilt I've ever made. I used Quilters Dreams wool with QD Select. Layered the wool closest to the quilt top. It was more of a challenge to quilt, even on the long arm. Wanted to do a bit a slipping about. Don't know if reversing the two battings would have helped the quilting or if it would have affected the warmth. I do know it's saves on propane in the dead of winter!

Comment

• grammaterry
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2015

never tried two professional bats however, back in my necessity quilting days, I would use two old worn our blankets and sandwich them in between my quilt top and back to get a newer blanket. It worked fine and those quilts are still in use after 30 years.
                success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                Terry of NC

Comment

• Lasykate
                  Fabric Fanatic
                  • Sep 2016

Thanks...I'm glad you made mention of it also. I was thinking of doing wool+50/50+ wool. Now I will. Now that I know you have already done it. Thanks for that!
                  Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                  Cindy Needham suggests splitting your wool batting into two layers and placing one layer on top of your cotton batting. The wool batting should face the quilt top. The reason for doing this is that wool has a better memory after being quilted, it is puffier, and it "remembers" to stay puffy. The cotton batting will give you the drape that is nice on a quilt. I'm not sure how much warmth the split wool will provide, but it will certainly make your quilting pop.

I am so glad I came across this thread. I forgot about this technique, and actually want to use it with one of my UFOs.

Comment

• Auntie Uli
                    Designer Diva
                    • May 2015

You can definitely use two layers of batting, I would try to combine 100% wool with 100% silk, ok it's luxurious but wonderful. I love Hobbs wool batting it's warm and very lightweight and I got the recommendation from a professional Quilter to combine it with silk, if I want the quilt to come out warm and fluffy and it shows your quilting very nice
                    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

• Sylvia H
                      Missouri Star
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by Lasykate View Post
                      Thanks...I'm glad you made mention of it also. I was thinking of doing wool+50/50+ wool. Now I will. Now that I know you have already done it. Thanks for that!
                      Well, no, I haven't done it yet. It something I learned in a Craftsy class and want to try with a bed quilt I'll be making for myself. One half of the wool on the top and cotton on the botton.

I also like the idea of using silk instead of the cotton.
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• RenC
                        Rotary Pro
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll have to check if my batting can be split in 2 without destroying it.

Comment

• bttyboopette
                          Applique Angel
                          • Apr 2013

I have used warm and natural on the bottom, with a poly blend on top. you get a nice weight to the quilt, and a little bit of 'poof' at the same time.

Comment

• Quilt Junkie
                            4 Patch Pro
                            • Jul 2014

Im a longarmer and YES you can use two different battings! I do it all the time....it depends on what you want as your end result. The most popular combos are a 100% cotton or 80/20 on the bottom and a wool/wool blend/or polydown on top. The top layer gives great definition to your quilting. Ive done many different combos....even double 80/20....they all turned out wonderful with happy customers.

Comment

Working...
                            X