Using batik fabric for binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using batik fabric for binding

A quilt I made five years ago was returned to me for patching. But I also found that the entire binding has seriously frayed along the outer fold around the entire quilt. I don't know how often it's been washed or how but I'm now thinking I won't use batik for binding, anyone have this happen to them?

Re: Using batik fabric for binding

I use batik for binding frequently and have not had any issues. You might consider bias binding. They say it is more durable.

Comment

Sounds like they pounded it on a rock! I have used batiks for binding and never had a problem. It's a "poser!"

Comment

I am very gentle with my clothes and quilts etc. Some folks are harder on their belongings
        than others. I have a scarves I knitted back in 70' that are almost like new today. I roll them up and put
        them away when not in use. I carefully fold quilts in thirds and place them on shelves in the closet.
        But, most people don't do these things. And I get made fun of for doing it...So...

Comment

I did use a batik for binding once, but haven't had any report of an issue from its owner.

It is true that some folks are really rough on their linens. I asked to see a quilt I had made for my oldest nephew a while ago, and I audibly gasped when I saw it. My SIL must have washed it every time it was used, and it was the strangest texture from her overuse of fabric softener! She said that she washed it so often because my nephew and his rugby buddies used it constantly when they would have sleepovers, and it smelled like testosterone afterward, lol. I guess I'm pleased that it is used and loved, but I did ask her to be a bit more gentle with the Downy, or to skip it all together.

Comment

Was it quality fabric? That's my first and only thought. The only quilts I have ever had fray on the corner of the binding were made with inferior fabric purchased at Fabricland. I have never had a quilt made with quality fabric sustain damage or signs of wear and tear like that.
            🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

Originally posted by SisterDi View Post
              I did use a batik for binding once, but haven't had any report of an issue from its owner.

It is true that some folks are really rough on their linens. I asked to see a quilt I had made for my oldest nephew a while ago, and I audibly gasped when I saw it. My SIL must have washed it every time it was used, and it was the strangest texture from her overuse of fabric softener! She said that she washed it so often because my nephew and his rugby buddies used it constantly when they would have sleepovers, and it smelled like testosterone afterward, lol. I guess I'm pleased that it is used and loved, but I did ask her to be a bit more gentle with the Downy, or to skip it all together.
              I'm curious about the reference to fabric softener and Downey. What damage does this do to quilts?

Comment

I don't know that it necessarily does damage to quilts, but there was a noticeable buildup of it on that particular quilt. Personal preference, I guess. I like my linens crisp and free from buildup. I DO know that fabric softener can reduce the absorbency of towels, though.

Comment

I made a flannel quilt with flannel binding for my son about 10 years ago. The binding is flannel also, and is starting to wear significantly. It's been washed a LOT. I'm not a big user of fabric softener.

Comment

Working...
                  X