Black batting for black backgrounds???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black batting for black backgrounds???

The weather is finally starting to cool off and my thoughts are turning to quilting from piecing. I have pieced a lot of quilt tops with a black backgrounds this year. I know they make black batting. What will happen if I use my regular 80/20 natural white batting with black background quilts?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Re: Black batting for black backgrounds???

I made one quilt with a black background (over 10 years ago) and used 80/20 batting and there have been no problems with the batting showing through on the black, if that is what your concern is.

Comment

The black batting makes the darker colors really pop. Doesn't really seem to be important, but through my LA guild I have seen side by side examples and it really does make a difference. You wouldn't think something inside that doesn't show would matter, but I will buy black batts for my dark quilts.....even though I buy rolls of 80-20 for normal use. I am sold.

Comment

When I have a lot of dark fabrics in the quilt, I use black batting just in case the batting pops through the stitching when it's quilted.

Comment

I use black batting with a large amount of black background.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

black is the way to go. Especially if there is some deep wine in the colors.

Comment

Whats your favorite black batting?
              Vonnie

Comment

Mine is Quilter's Dream.

Comment

Nothing at all will happen. If I was using that high loft batting, I'd use black because it can get pulled though with the needle, but regular quilt batting should have that problem at all. I've never seen it on any of mine anyway.
                  🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

depending on the batting, and the needle, you may get little bits of the white popping out on the back.

Comment

Working...
                    X