What causes this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What causes this?

This is what I am currently trying to quilt and having a devil of a time with. Front and back are 100% cotton, batting is a 60/40 wool/poly, basted with 505 and pins, and using 50wt Aurafil top and bottom. I am trying to echo and outline some HST and I am getting these little puckers....driving me nuts. I am using a ruler foot, my tension is good and the pressure on the presser foot has been released right down to allow skimming of the work underneath the foot as recommended. I am using a teflon sheet under my work,and machinger gloves. Help!!!
    Attached Files

Re: What causes this?

I don't see anything wrong, but I assume you want the material to remain absolutely flat after quilting. I am not sure this is possible, as the movement of needle and thread through all the layers creates this effect. So, some things that might make a difference is the type of needle you are using and length of the stitch. I would use a topstich needle because of its sharp point (#80 is right for 50 weight thread). I am also assuming you are using a darning/hopping/FMQ foot, so you will have to lengthen the stitch by moving the fabric faster - practice this first to get the right rhythm.

I'll be following this to see what other recommendations are made.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I think that's the way its suppose to look.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Thankyou Sylvia and grammaterry..I'm using a 90 needle with the 50wt as I read somewhere that when doing fmq you need a slightly bigger eye and shaft for the thread due to stress or something?

Comment

Originally posted by just4me View Post
          Thankyou Sylvia and grammaterry..I'm using a 90 needle with the 50wt as I read somewhere that when doing fmq you need a slightly bigger eye and shaft for the thread due to stress or something?
          That may be true, and it makes sense to me. But a #90 needle makes a hole that is not totally filled with 50 weight thread. Besides being #90, what kind of needle is it? Different types are topstitch, quilting, universal, jeans, etc.

I have quilted with a #80 needle and 50 weight thread without any problems. But, honestly, I don't remember how often I did this as FMQ. I know it works very well for walking foot quilting. (I really have to take more notes on my projects for future reference.)
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Usually when quilting you use a walking foot.
            A walking foot moves the top/bottom fabric
            together. This will solve your problem.
            It's also important to stitch slower when
            quilting .

Comment

Thanks Bernina2 but a walking foot isn't required when using a ruler foot as it is essentially fmq using a ruler as a guide and the ruler foot is especially designed for this purpose. My stitch speed is set waaaay slow as I am just getting the hang of fmq and am moving my quilt quite slowly.
              I did come across a you tube post just now that mentions the need to not be too heavy handed when holding the ruler on the work so this may be my problem. It's very late here across the sea so will try again tomorrow being more mindful of my hand pressure on the ruler.

Sylvia, the needle I've been using of late is a Jeans needle as a quilting friend said she found they worked very well sewing through all the bulk etc.
              Last edited by just4me; September 24, 2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by just4me View Post

Sylvia, the needle I've been using of late is a Jeans needle as a quilting friend said she found they worked very well sewing through all the bulk etc.
                Check out this photo of needle points. While the jeans needle is very sharp, it gets thicker as it moves toward the eye. The sharp/microtex needle point does not get thicker. I think this is the same for a topstitch needle, though I didn't find a picture of one.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...dles-types.jpg

Comment

Thanks Sylvia; most appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X