Help please - Very small seam allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please - Very small seam allowance

I made a whole lot of boxed square blocks according to this method : http://cluckclucksew.com/2010/07/stack-n-whack.html

I thought I was being careful cutting out my larger squares but some were off. As a result the finished blocks don't all measure up.

The squares in the centre are quite consistent so instead of cutting down the blocks to get them all the same size I decided to use the centre square to match them. Any error in size will be hidden in the seam allowance.

This means that the fabric in the seam allowance is not even. In some places if one block is smaller than the other there is about 1/8 of fabric from the smaller block in the seam allowance. I'm so sorry if the explanation is not clear. I'll try to get pics tonight.

Is this enough? I'm worried about the seam coming apart in the wash. I will be using 100% wool batting where the max quilt distance is 4", so it will be quite closely quilted.

Will this be enough to hold it together?

Re: Help please - Very small seam allowance

I would consider doing a "stitch on TOP of the ditch", using a serpentine stitch, over the seams that I know are narrower. Sewing over them that way should reinforce the narrower seams. You can definitely quilt closer than the 4", too.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Agreed Sylvia. That usually does the trick.

Comment

I'm not a perfect piecer, and sometimes I have to fudge my seams to keep my points or get something to match. Sometimes like you I end up with a seam that is only 1/8". When this happens while I am stitching the narrow width seams together I reduce my stitch length to 2.0 and every third stitch I hit the reverse button for one stitch to lock the thread in place. So the seam is narrow but very tightly sewn together.

None of my quilt recipients have reported the seams coming apart in the wash, so I guess it is working. I generally quilt at 1" density.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
          I would consider doing a "stitch on TOP of the ditch", using a serpentine stitch, over the seams that I know are narrower. Sewing over them that way should reinforce the narrower seams. You can definitely quilt closer than the 4", too.
          I'll have a look at which stitches on my machine would look okay as a serpentine.
          I was planning on stitch in the ditch and then an orange peel pattern over all the blocks.
          http://pippinsequim.blogspot.co.nz/2...king-foot.html

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
            I'm not a perfect piecer, and sometimes I have to fudge my seams to keep my points or get something to match. Sometimes like you I end up with a seam that is only 1/8". When this happens while I am stitching the narrow width seams together I reduce my stitch length to 2.0 and every third stitch I hit the reverse button for one stitch to lock the thread in place. So the seam is narrow but very tightly sewn together.

None of my quilt recipients have reported the seams coming apart in the wash, so I guess it is working. I generally quilt at 1" density.
            Good to know I'm not alone
            I'm using a 1.8 stitch length & have been using a small piece of fusible where some of the seams cross to give it some reinforcement. I'll have to try the back-stitching as well.

Comment

I sometimes have narrow seam allowances to preserve a point and when it is very close I backstitch over the seam as I piece.

Comment

Thanks Denise and Claire for the tips on smaller stitches and backstitching. I, too, (hard as it may be to believe ) sometimes have seams that are less than 1/4"!
                If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I read somewhere (can't find it now) to use a thin sliver of iron on interfacing over a small seam. I have used it a number of times.

Comment

When piecing blocks together it's necessary to
                    square All blocks the same size before piecing.
                    Thus allowing the same 1/4 inch seam allowance.
                    By not starting this way and trying to make
                    up the differences later will only cause more problems.
                    There's a reason a 1/4 seam allowance is used, anything
                    less is going to pull or wash out with use.
                    A lesson learned, start out correctly when squaring
                    blocks for a quilt top instead of trying to figure a way
                    to correct the error later down the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X