HELP ME. Muslin or cotton for backing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP ME. Muslin or cotton for backing?

I'm getting ready to order wide backing in white. Not many choices at M* I wonder if muslin is better or cotton? This is for my first big quilt job an I want to do it right. She wants the lady bugs and white and a white backing. Should I get the bella solids white with the matchingbella layer cakes or should I go with Kona white or muslin? Help
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: HELP ME. Muslin or cotton for backing?

Muslin is usually plain. If you want prints, cotton would be the way to go.
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unless you have first hand experience with muslin, I'd use a better quality cotton. Muslin can be great or horrible, depending on the quality. I have used muslin previously, but only a premium quality. The cheaper stuff is limp, has less thread count and and generally not as nice. I even had trouble with the cheap stuff practicing fmq.

Bella and Kona are both good quality; I prefer Bella, but that's just me. I agree with Preeti that a print would look cute, even if you had to piece the backing. How about something like this? https://www.fabric.com/buy/0454768/t...2681148|pdv|c|

or, https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...g-lava-yardage
      Last edited by Sharyn J; September 21, 2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Take a peek here before you commit. I've been told by some of the "forum" ladies that this company has both good products and good customer service. Good luck and congratulations on your completion.

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/

Comment

M* has an entire shop of extra wide backs....prints and solids. Are they not online, too?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
            M* has an entire shop of extra wide backs....prints and solids. Are they not online, too?
            They are online http://https://www.missouriquiltco.c...wse/225?page=1

Comment

Okay, It has to be white. I'm thinking for sure to order from MO Star . They have Bella white in wide and they have 200 thread count Muslin and they have Kona Cotton. I would go with the Kona Cotton except that they don't have a matching layer cake and the Bella Layer cake is $5 more than the Kona layer
              Terry

Comment

Don't get 200 thread count Muslin! That is pretty thin material.
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I would use quality cotton fabrics. Muslim is a loosely
                  woven, thin fabric that does not wear well.
                  Quilts are usually washed frequently and Muslim
                  Will not hold up as well as quilting cottons.

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                    Okay, It has to be white. I'm thinking for sure to order from MO Star . They have Bella white in wide and they have 200 thread count Muslin and they have Kona Cotton. I would go with the Kona Cotton except that they don't have a matching layer cake and the Bella Layer cake is $5 more than the Kona layer
                    If you like the Kona why don't you just order extra yardage of that instead of a layer cake?

Comment

I have used both. I agree that you have to be careful with your choice in muslin. The premium is usually nice and you can get it wide enough to not piece. Personally I wouldn't worry about the backing being an exact match, but that's me.
                      I buy muslin by the bolt so I always have some to use as backing if I need it.
                      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

you all are such a big help. I am trying to make this quilt the best I can. The reason I thought I would use layer cakes is...1. I figure they will be more square than I usually cut and 2. if will save considerable time so that my hours perhaps won't add up to 50 cents an hour for labor. lol. Anyway...off to shop. I'm hoping some great freebee will happen tomorrow on the daily deal so I can get a deal.
                        Terry

Comment

I've used muslin when I first started quilting, but I don't now. I think the quilt looks better with a cotton solid or print. However, the old quilts almost always had a muslin backing.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarillo19 View Post
                            I've used muslin when I first started quilting, but I don't now. I think the quilt looks better with a cotton solid or print. However, the old quilts almost always had a muslin backing.
                            You are right about that. I used muslin and old sheets and new sheets, whatever was the least expensive route to go, but then, I made a special quilt and used a premium cotton and it was so nice. I still occasionally go the cheap route out of my frugal habits and also, sometimes I just sew to be sewing, but this s special so I'm trying to pay attention
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X