Thread Color for Quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread Color for Quilting

I am sure this question has been posted many times, but here goes again. I am getting ready to machine quilt a baby quilt of bright colors. I am not sure what thread to use to quilt. I am pretty much a beginner in this area. I think gray might be a nice neutral color, even though there is no gray in the quilt. Or a neutral beige. The backing will likely be a solid color or tone on tone. Should I use a different color in the bobbin to blend with the backing?

Re: Thread Color for Quilting

Jane917.....mornin', sweetie!

To offer my opinion on machine quilting. I have recently taken a couple of classes in my area and found a couple of techniques that might help!

1) A photo of your project would be helpful.
    2) You can use whatever color you want, top or bobbin. The lighter the thread, the less prominent.....
    3) A beginning machine quilter should take into account that a print backing will hide any indiscretions/boo boos!

I hope this helps!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

For bold colors I usually try for the medium range color for the top thread unless I want a specific one of the bold colors to stand out. For the bobbin thread I usually use the same color as the backing.

I purchased three colors that I found goes with most anything which is: a white, a light pearl grey and a linen. The linen is like a light gold but seems to blend in with so many things. Oh and I also have a dark red that I use occasionally. That is what I almost exclusively use although I did purchase a rainblow with blues and turquoise once. I've used that on a few things.
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. This quilt has so many bright colors that I think a light gray will be my best bet. I haven't picked out the backing yet, but my eye is leaning toward yellow.

Comment

Trial your bobbin thread colour by placing a strand of it against your backing. I have learnt when choosing a thread colour not to hold my spool of thread against my fabric as it isn't a true indication of what one thread of that colour will look like. I always use the same colour top and bottom even if it means a bit of a contrast with the backing colour. I am a novice and don't need the angst of finding bobbin thread colour peeking through to the top of my quilt. I know that a correct tension should negate this problem but well, sometimes fate just wants to mess with ya!

Comment

Originally posted by just4me View Post
            I know that a correct tension should negate this problem but well, sometimes fate just wants to mess with ya!
            Isn't that the truth! Good luck with your quilt. After it's all done and washed you will be amazed how the quilting blends in.
            ***Kathy***

Comment

Working...
            X