MSQC thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSQC thread

I'm curious if anyone is having trouble with the MSQC thread spools. I love the thread but it keeps catching on the plastic spool and as a result it doesn't feed though my machine evenly. I've filed the rough edges of the spool with a fingernail file but I'm still having trouble. I'm certain it's the wide base on the plastic spool catching because when I change thread products with a different plastic spool, I don't have a problem. My machine requires I put the top spool horizontally with thread feeding from the bottom. Anyone else having trouble and have a solution?

Re: MSQC thread

i would try using a thread stand behind your machine. If you do not have one then try putting the spool into a mug behind the machine and tape a safety pin on the top right edge of your machine as an additional thread guide.

Comment

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question, but it sounds like you're placing your thread on the spool backwards. I always use a thread stand for spools that have a wider base.

I have two of these from CT and they have a heavy base that stays in place. They're also on sale right now.
      http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...d__D81905.HTML

I also have this one from superior: http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...thread-holder/

Or, do as Claire mentioned. I used to put the thread in a mason jar and guide with safety pins.

Comment

Do you have one of these: http://www.allbrands.com/categories/...l-retainer-cap
        It fits on top of the spool and keeps the thread from getting near the edge of the spool.
        Also, I have not bought any of the MSQC thread so I don't know what the bottom of the spool looks like. Is it a small round hole or does it get bigger at the bottom. If it's bigger at the bottom, you will need a wooden insert.
        https://www.createforless.com/Rosecr...pid159797.aspx
        Vonnie

Comment

I don't have a lot of room behind my machine so I have experienced not so great results with glass homemade thread holders. I have a lot of large cones and a vintage machine, and no room for a real thread holder. I discovered that an empty Clorox wipe container is perfect. It holds any size thread, wont' break if if falls off, and if you leave the lid on, it has its own handy little thread guide!

Comment

I could not use the Missouri Star thread on my machine either. Tried it at the start of a project so just went back to my old thread and have not yet looked for or tried an alternative so it will work. Just wanted you to know you weren't the only one.
            Thanks to the members who offered suggestions.

Comment

I have been using M* tread since it came out and few months back, and it has worked just fine. Cross wound thread works best on a thread stand. I have old machines [by choice] , and when I first started using cross wound thread, I placed the spool in a vase, or in one case, and candle holder, although I have seen people put them in a coffee cup. Once I used it, and it worked, I got a thread stand, but until then, try it.

Thread_CrossWound_500_01.jpg

Thread_CrossWound_500_02.jpg
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I have a Janome and I use my large spool holder and that works for me.
                sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

It does not matter if your thread feeds under or over. Old fashioned spools that were the same flat disc on both ends had the notch in one end — the end that made it necessary to have the thread feed from underneath so you'd have the spool turned the right way. It's not a fault of the M* thread spool, it's not an uncommon type now, it's just a small cone.

Thread should come off the spool, not catch, not twist, and if you've got that all set it doesn't matter which direction it all happens.

Comment

From your description of the problem, it sounds like you need that retainer cap, as was mentioned above by Vonnie. I had that issue too, when I forgot to put the cap on. Lots of spool ends have a definite slit where you secure the thread to keep it from unraveling in storage. That is what is sticking out and catching the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                      I have been using M* tread since it came out and few months back, and it has worked just fine. Cross wound thread works best on a thread stand. I have old machines [by choice] , and when I first started using cross wound thread, I placed the spool in a vase, or in one case, and candle holder, although I have seen people put them in a coffee cup. Once I used it, and it worked, I got a thread stand, but until then, try it.
                      I just have to say I love your machine! It looks like something from the Jetsons When I have gone somewhere without my thread stand I have used coffee cups, red solo cups, etc. They all work

Comment

One more hint--I have a small Brother machine that I use when travelling or taking classes. There is not room for the small chunky MSQC thread spools. I have a vertical spool holder that sits upright on the front of my machine. Problem is that it is not very tall so I take a regular drinking straw, place it on the vertical spool holder and cut it so that it is a couple of inches taller than the spool holder, then put my thread spool on and it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
                          I just have to say I love your machine! It looks like something from the Jetsons When I have gone somewhere without my thread stand I have used coffee cups, red solo cups, etc. They all work
                          That's why I had to have a "Rocketeeer" The thing arrived to me filthy! So bad that I just added oil and grease and ran it until it softened the old grease. I took it apart last weekend and cleaned out the entire cam assembly. I will sew on it some more, and then do the underneath and motor. It sews all the stitches nicely, but the hand wheel is frozen to the clutch, so I can't wind bobbins with it yet.
                          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                          X