X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just4me
    replied
    Re: Tension...hmmmmmmmmm

Well the plot thickens and is answered........ I checked the settings on my machine and somehow, for this last bit of sewing I've been doing I've "inadvertently/accidently/wish I had a cat to blame" altered my tension setting about a half a thingy or so. Wouldn't you know it, I put it back to my usual setting and hey presto...stitches look just as good and the upper thread doesn't pull out when I tug on a practice run! Can't be sure how long that altered setting was there but suspect it hasn't been more than a day or so so am not going to worry about the bit of quilting I have done since then. Happy dancing again and will be sure to use this test now for any future tension changes. I must say this has been a lesson learnt for me with this computerised, touch screen machine...screens can so easily be accidently nudged and changed and if you're not "on the ball" as I tend to exist in a vague world of my own, this can be the result. My new mantra...check my screens, check my displays, and stop and investigate when I hear a beep for no reason...perhaps I've bumped something again!! lol
    Last edited by just4me; September 19, 2016, 01:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deegles
    replied

hmmmm this could explain why some seams open up after the quilt is completed and washed (I always thought this was because I was too inaccurate in my piecing). I have never bothered to check my threads if my pieces look like they are stitched. Quite perplexing!

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

If you can easily pull out a thread that tension would be too loose and the opposite too tight. If the thread is just laying on the top of the material, it is not buried nor connected with the other thread. Another way to check for perfect tension is to run your fingernail over the stitching line, on top and again on the bottom. You will feel and even hear is the stitches are not tight or too tight. Tension is a bugger to get right, especially on a quilting machine. It is something that has to be changed with different fabrics, battings, threads......sometimes it seems even with the weather. BUT......it does look so nice when you achieve that perfect balance and stitch!
    Some LAers tighten it just a hair too tight, then back it off. The threads should meet in the middle......hidden in the batting.

Leave a comment:

• just4me
    started a topic Tension...hmmmmmmmmm

Tension...hmmmmmmmmm

To check my tension I always "go" by how the stitch looks.....you know, the thread not lying flat along the fabric but instead being buried into my layers, no sign of bottom thread pulled to the top and vice versa. Now someone has told me that if you sew a straight line, even if all looks good, if, (after you cut it away from your machine of course) you can simply pull the top thread out of the line of stitching then your tension is not correct regardless of how it looked. So I just did a test myself and using my current setting where I think my tension looks and is good I sewed a line of about 6 or 7 inches and then I was aghast to see that I could indeed just pull the top thread through and away from the work. Now in real life, once I have my stitching finished and ends buried, is this a real issue? I would appreciate other peoples opinions on this.
Working...
X