owl applique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

owl applique

I finally got around to making my bil's picture. My question is, since I am going to be mounting this on a board with a layer of thin batting do I need to hand stitch around the appliques? They are stuck on really good and obviously it won't ever be washed. All suggestions appreciated.brian's owl and tree.jpgbrians owl.jpg
    sigpic

Re: owl applique

That is awesome! I think I would applique stitch around the pieces. It would make the owl stand out more and make it more permanent. I have had fused pieces lift in spots over time
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Yes definitely stitch around the appliques in your piece. I'm taking a course with Melody Johnson, who states that for commercial fabrics (as opposed to hand-dyed fabrics) you must always stitch. Even if you have prewashed the commercial fabric. Otherwise eventually the edges will come loose even though they seem to be firmly attached right now. Your piece is very striking. I hope your bil loves it.

Comment

Laura, that is STRIKING . . .
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

thanks, it's part of a McKenzie Ryan pattern. I love her stuff. I am going to make a matching picture with the river bank and bears. They are for my sister and bil's Montana cabin.
          sigpic

Comment

You did a beautiful job on this. What a gorgeous owl and beautiful scenery. I agree that quilting around the owl would be pretty and make it stand out.

Comment

Beautiful. I'd stitch it down because that is part of quilting! Plus, I'd put an extra layer of batting behind it to really make it "pop" out and become a real focal point.
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

It's beautiful!
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

That turned out stunning. Yes, I would not only stitch around the owl, but maybe some stitches on the wings to give them texture.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Love your owl, especially the colours!

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                    I'm taking a course with Melody Johnson
                    I'm doing that course, too.

Comment

This is beautiful! You did a wonderful job! I would stitch around the owl and all of his parts.
                      Cindy

Comment

Working...
                      X